Scratches?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icechip

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am changing from a jacket to a BP/W set up with STA but am worried about scratching up my new AL80 tanks. Is there anything I should do, buy, prepare for or is this an unnecessary worry? Does anyone find their BP/W's or their STAs or maybe even their cam bands scratch up or mar their tanks?

I just bought a Diverite BP/W with no STA and new steel tanks. There is small screw on the back where the backplate attaches to the harness. It scratched up the nitrox sticker pretty bad on my first dive with each tank but doesn't seem to have actually marred the tank its-self. I was thinking the STA might help with this.. or I might dip the screws in some plasti-dip. Either way, I'm interested to see the other responses you get.

My STA doesn't scratch but my stainless cam bands would (If I let them). For that I bought some Highland scuba tank pads that slip over the strap and sit between the cam and the tank. You can see them here Highland if you scroll down to the[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][COLOR=333] SS Tank Cam Straps[/COLOR][/FONT]. The pads alone were only a few bucks each. If you don't have cam bands yet there are a few companies that include these type of pads Highland obviously is one, as well as Dive Rite and I believe Halcyon. there may be others.

I use plastic screws to hold the wing to the plate so no chance of scratches there.

Scratches on the tank show you actually dive it. And it won't hurt them. Aluminum does not rust. You could always get those tank nets that the guys who do visuals and hydros hate with a passion. The first time the mate on the boat tosses it in the rack or you do it's gonna get scratched anyway. Scuba is not an activity for Felix Ungers. It's more of an Oscar Madison type deal.

.... lmao .....

What about steel tanks? In my case, I was worried about it eventually scratching off the hot dip coating (Worthington lps 108) and voiding the lifetime rust warranty. If it's not an issue, then I'll just cut the stickers so they don't come in contact with the bolts and have a nice dive.

It's all fun and games until somebody loses a warranty :)

The tanks don't get scratched from being attached to the STA. They get scratched from getting dinged around on boats, or scratch against rocks, etc.

It's very simple: don't want your gears to get scratched up? Then don't use the gears.

I get the regular wear and tear aspect. I was wondering about the hardware, bolts etc.

Why would bolts come into contact with the tank? If that's an issue with the STA get a wing that doesn't require one. You're going to end up with a couple anyway. I have five now.

---------- Post added March 20th, 2013 at 05:45 PM ----------

And need one more.

Back
Top Bottom