Stage straps a good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColdH2O

Contributor
Reaction score
Just starting into SM and was wondering if stage straps are the way to go for carrying your tanks? I have a SMS 100 and am using 2-HP119's, so without straps they are a little cumbersome to carry on the surface.

Is anyone making their own stage straps? Its hard to find anyone that stocks the kits for the 8" tanks, plus I already have the cambands and snaps from when I bought my SMS 100. I should just buy some 1" webbing and some triglides to build my own.

Can anyone tell me how long the nylon loop is at the neck for the webbing? Also any close up pictures of someone rigging would help.

Stage straps are not for carrying tanks on land. They are for use underwater only. I would also recommend against using them for sidemount tanks as it is just something you don't need and could cause an entanglement. I have used tanks up to lp 121's and just put them on my sholder.

Just starting into SM and was wondering if stage straps are the way to go for carrying your tanks? I have a SMS 100 and am using 2-HP119's, so without straps they are a little cumbersome to carry on the surface.

Is anyone making their own stage straps? Its hard to find anyone that stocks the kits for the 8" tanks, plus I already have the cambands and snaps from when I bought my SMS 100. I should just buy some 1" webbing and some triglides to build my own.

Can anyone tell me how long the nylon loop is at the neck for the webbing? Also any close up pictures of someone rigging would help.

No real requirement for "stage straps" for SM. I prefer 5mil cord instead of webbing, lots of websites/youtube videos on how to make the SM straps. Using cam bands is just fine and convenient for traveling (also for adding a weight to neutral your tanks if desired). You only need hose clamps/cam bands, bolt snaps, rubber tubbing/webbing and cord.

No real requirement for "stage straps" for SM. I prefer 5mil cord instead of webbing, lots of websites/youtube videos on how to make the SM straps. Using cam bands is just fine and convenient for traveling (also for adding a weight to neutral your tanks if desired). You only need hose clamps/cam bands, bolt snaps, rubber tubbing/webbing and cord.

I was actually looking at the 5mil cord method on frogkick today and itd pretty simple and easy if I decide to put some on, I think I will go that route. Thanks

You want the neck cords as tight as possible - otherwise you'll end up with severe dangle and find it impossible to properly trim your tanks. I'd absolutely recommend using a choker system to keep them in very tight. If you're doing this, you might want to investigate the ring-bungee system...

As others have said, stage rigging isn't necessarily a good compromise if overhead environment diving - the trade off between safety (entrapment/entanglement hazard) versus convenience (carrying tanks) should always err towards safety.

I have yet to see anyone who uses a stage strap style rigging on sidemount tanks have sidemount tanks that are trimmed well. That's not to say it can't be done. I just haven't seen it. It will all depend on how you rig the tanks to your sidemount system once in the water.

As for carrying the tanks by the stage straps I will repeat that this is not a good idea, especially with 550 cord. If the tanks are too heavy then either get smaller tanks or use a truck dolly.

I have yet to see anyone who uses a stage strap style rigging on sidemount tanks have sidemount tanks that are trimmed well. That's not to say it can't be done. I just haven't seen it. It will all depend on how you rig the tanks to your sidemount system once in the water.

As for carrying the tanks by the stage straps I will repeat that this is not a good idea, especially with 550 cord. If the tanks are too heavy then either get smaller tanks or use a truck dolly.

No one diving ring bungies trims out well?

On a separate question, why are the heavy tanks a problem with cord a problem? Stretch?

Hey Rob there was an old post with a link to pictures of your setup, here is the old post:

I've made more modifications since these, but the last two photos on this page - http://chipoladivers.com/2011/03/rig-modifications/ - show something similar to what I've done on my Nomad.

The link is broke, do you still have pictures of the setup? Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom