Is this common or was I just unlucky?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been renting BCDs for the past few months. For the most part, I've been diving with a jacket style BC. I have no complaints about it (I believe it's a Pilot).
On one dive my LDS was out of BCs, so the guy at the counter ran to the back and grabbed me a spare one that belongs to his buddy. He said the guy likes me and said it would be fine. The BC was a back inflate. It fit fine, so I figured I'd take it along.
Come 2:00 PM my buddy and I are in the water ready to descend. I noticed I was wobbling a bit but I figured it wasn't a big deal...big mistake.
Descending wasn't an issue, but once we reached 40 feet and began our dive, my body would not remain straight. I kept tilting to the right. I put up with it for a good 30 minutes, ascended, and told my buddy about it.
We found out that my weights had shifted before the dive began.
We also found an issue with the BC. We realized that about 75% of the air had gone to one side of the BC and 25% to the other. There were some "cords" of some sort holding the bladder in place, and apparently one side got tangled up and restricted air flow.
I untangled the BC, adjusted my weights, and dove again 2 hours later. This time things went a lot smoother.
Is this a common issue with back inflate BCs? I was planning on sticking to jacket style BC but I found a deal that I honestly can't resist.

What is the main complaint that people have with back inflation BCs? Is it just the "face plant" at the surface thing?

Would have been a good idea to check it out at the dive shop first. 40 feet down is not the best time to discover a problem with your BCD, regardless of what kind you're using.

FWIW, I'm using a BP/W setup, but if I have to get a BCD, I'd prefer a back-inflate. Try a couple of different ones and see what you're most comfortable with.

I had a Wing that had a u-shaped bladder and I really disliked it. Air would get trapped on one side and the only way to get is balanced was to tip head up and then the air would often make a loud farting noise as it moved to the other side. Very annoying when spearfishing. However, a donut shaped wing does not have this issue at all.

Sounds like you got a backinflate with a bungied wing.

Avoid a bungied wing, and get a donutshaped wing, and you will most likely not encounter those problems.

Thanks everyone.
Yes, the wing was bungied.

Would I encounter this issue with a Knighthawk or Dragon?

I happily sold my Knighthawk for a much more cost effective back plate and wing aka BP/W. The Knighthawk is bungied.

One of the problems with bungied wings is air-trapping, but it is also true that, in any horseshoe or torus-shaped bladder, air will go to the high side if you tilt. How much work it is to get it back to being evenly distributed depends on the design of the bladder. This can actually be useful, if you are carrying an asymmetric load of equipment (for example, a slung pony bottle) but it can be annoying if you aren't, and don't know how to fix it. Rearing a little head-up will generally allow the gas to spread out evenly again, as it has access to the upper arc of the bladder.

Thanks again everyone. I'll avoid the whole back inflation design all together. I much prefer jacket BC's anyways.
I typically don't carry any extra equipment, and I would much rather avoid all the hassle.

Don't deprive yourself of a better trim and streamlining because of a bad experience. Donut back inflation will change the way you dive wrt trim and comfort. I would give back inflation a go again but with proper kit. U-shape wings is not a good idea.

Dive what you're comfortable with! There are far more jacket BCs out there than back inflates. Those of us who love back inflate just can't figure out why! :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom