Sidemount training????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am curious what training those of you who dive sidemount have taken, if any?

Is there a need for sidemount training for open water type diving?

What did you learn from sidemount training and was it valuable?

I didn't take a formal course in sidemount training. And honestly, I'm not a great sidemount diver. What a formal course does help people with (from what my sidemount friends have told me anyway) is a starting point for gear configuration. Formal training gets you a starting point on your gear setup with regard to where your light is mounted, hose lengths, are you going to use two right handed regs or one right/one left, etc.

I have met a few people who were sidemounting that didn't know the reasons behind alternating breathing from both tanks every few minutes (or few hundred psi). I'm guessing sidemount instruction is a lot like a tech class in that you'll be helped getting your buoyancy and trim squared away. Not all tanks work with all types of people. An instructor can probably head off some issues before they even start.

That's all my assumption anyway. If I start doing any serious sidemounting dives, I'll take a formal course.

I did mine immediately following my Cave class in Playa, in the caves. I'm going back in a couple of weeks for another class.

Picked it up from a buddy and continue to learn/modify along the way.

If folks want to do a sidemount course,fine. Will be a sad day when a sidemount card is REQUIRED for anything. (Which is already starting to happen)

good questions, Dave.

Ian, to be fair he said training not certification. I agree with others. From what I've observed, switching to side mount isn't a non-event and takes some form of on boarding. Either a good mentor or a good instructor

Here's a bit of fun... two are active sidemount instructors (self-taught, I think) with decades of diving experience. Two are sidemount students, on their sidemount training courses.

Benefit of proper training?

sidemount-quizz.jpg

ANDI Sidemount Level 2. I will hopefully complete the ANDI Advanced Sidemount course later this year - 4-6 cylinders w/penetration & restrictions.

I qualified to teach PADI Sidemount and Tec Sidemount on the basis of experience, not the short 'instructor familiarization' course.

I think the benefits of training are significant enough to almost merit it being a 'need'.

Of course, there are people who can/will self-teach themselves sidemount. However, the process is likely to be extremely inefficient and long-winded; as having someone experienced and competent (and not all sidemount instructors are...) to provide accurate and insightful feedback and direction when you are tweaking and refining the rig is invaluable.

Open Water sidemount training is pretty simplistic. It's basic OW stuff practiced in the context of a new rig. Getting the rig fitted, streamlined and achieving proper diver/cylinder trim are the aspects hardest to quantify. That's where most divers go wrong... or, at least, take a long time struggling to get it perfected.

Actually diving sidemount is pretty intuitive. I've seen students come to grips with it very quickly - much quicker than the transition would be to back-mounted doubles. All of that is under-pinned by proper set-up and configuration though. Without that foundation, it's a struggle for them. I've found that 4 training dives is quite sufficient to get the student's rig comfortable and effective. Most still want to tweak and fiddle afterwards (and they have learnt how to do that...), but they've got their foundation sorted in the first couple of dives..

I've dove indie doubles for many years, so the concept of balancing cylinders etc was nothing new. I also had clear understanding about proper trim, buoyancy and propulsion. Likewise, I was more than familiar with long-hose air-sharing etc. There weren't really any 'new' skills for me to master, other than the partial remove/forward cylinder/s.

What I learned was proper configuration and that fast-track refinement of my rig. Putting together a new rig and getting it working effectively can be a bit like a 'Rubik's Cube'. Changing X effects Y. Fixing Y makes A loose. Tightening A then over-tightens X... and back to the start again.. Having an instructor/mentor who is intimately familiar with the specific rig/concept the student is using is very beneficial.

I was taught by a very experienced cave/wreck instructor-trainer, so the emphasis of my training was always focused on overhead environment considerations. The ANDI Sidemount course is more of a 'conversion course', taught up to the level of the student's highest qualification, rather than being purely OW etc. The course was made more interesting because some drills were practiced in overhead environment context - inverted swim, inverted mask remove/replace, vertical/inverted shut-downs etc.

Ian, to be fair he said training not certification.

Thin end of the wedge! Once a card is available for something it won't be long before it's required! :shakehead:

---------- Post added April 27th, 2013 at 08:24 PM ----------

Here's a bit of fun... two are active sidemount instructors (self-taught, I think) with decades of diving experience. Two are sidemount students, on their sidemount training courses.

Benefit of proper training?

View attachment 153438

Trick question! A and D are not diving sidemount.

Trick question! A and D are not diving sidemount.

A & D are both diving a Razor harness. A is carrying 3 cylinders (you can see primary and deco stage on his left side). Yes, D is not using bungees....nor has he properly attached his Bat wing..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom