A little Bananarama love

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sol

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi folks:

My Tripadvisor review of my recent stay at Bananarama is here.

From what I understand, though, they won't be dealing with Sunwing any more. Don't know whether it'll still be affordable. :depressed:

IMG_4487.jpg

Reactions: Doc
Maybe they just didn't need to cut fees to make the Sunwing flights even more appealing. It's cruise ship season, so they aren't likely to dry up and blow away. Sunwing, assumably will still operate their great deals from Canada to Roatan, and other day-dive ops will get a chance to blossom with increased volume.

Post your report here on :sblogo: along with pix of the dive boats, etc. I read through a lot of their other reports on Trip Advisor and they were fairly ridiculous when compared to yours which was much more SCUBA aware. A whole lot of them were from Cruise Shippers and 5*, and they too read high on the goofy scale, but the really odd ones were the ones that gave them less than 5*. These people might want to stay on the cruise ship.

Give this good dive op some publicity- post your report and pix right here.

Give this good dive op some publicity- post your report and pix right here.

What, right here in the thread? You don't think it's redundant, given that I've just linked to it three posts up?

It might be considered an inefficient use of electrons, but again- SB is the pre-eminent source on "the nets" for SCUBA information. I checked with HowardEand he says there's money left over from April's budget- go for it! Expand on your good time, give more details- you write well- wax poetic!

And remember- I did say something about pix. This is a great little dive-op that many people ask about right here. Spread the love. :love:

And... who waved first? The diver or the Moray? That's part of my point- it's not one of those high tech NatGeo shots that everybody is striving for- it's real life, fun, SCUBA action. Perfect! Nothing could be better.

Who waved first? The diver or the Moray?

He wasn't waving, he was telling me to get the f*** off his lawn, but I hear what you're saying. Stand by.

Reactions: Doc
Thanks for the report! We plan to be 'cruise ship people' at Bananarama and snorkel off the beach in December (assuming my certification stuff goes okay we will dive in Cozumel) but it sounds like Roatan is a place I'm going to want to go back to to dive!

(Anybody's got a problem with my profligate use of electrons, talk to Doc.)

This was my second visit to Bananarama. My fiancee and I were there in December and we both enjoyed it so much that we had to book another trip.

(Just to demonstrate what kind of a dive operation this is, I got there on a Monday afternoon, and it wasn't clear that they were going to have the numbers to do an afternoon dive. They could see how badly I needed to get into the water, though, so Marc and Olman loaded up the boat and took me out to West End Wall.)

I had a pretty ambitious to-do list this time — both Rescue and Wreck — and not only were Marco and the dive staff able to accommodate me, I was even lucky enough to have one-on-one instruction for a lot of the stuff I wanted to. For the final wreck dive on El Aguila, we had the whole dive site to ourselves. Marc helped me with the technical aspects and got some great underwater images to boot. I'm attaching a few more here. (Useful lesson: Nitrox can extend your bottom time, yes, but that doesn't necessarily make it a good idea to spend five minutes on your first knot when you run a line.)

For the Rescue part, Zoe was supportive but tough; she wasn't going to let me get away with cutting corners or stop the towing or rescue-breathing drills until she was satisfied that I'd gotten things right. She and Marc threw a lot at me — tired diver, panicked diver, two victims at once, unresponsive diver on the bottom, gear problems, misdirection, out-of-air emergencies, nervous OW students — but if I'm a better diver now, it's thanks to them. (Useful lesson: remove weight belt before jumping in to rescue someone. :dork2:)

That's not to take anything away from the fun dives, of course. It seemed that every dive was either another marine-life discovery and/or learning experience. On the night dive with Zoe, I saw my first eagle ray and my first octopus, and Zoe was just as excited as I was. On one of the morning swim-throughs with Brian, I came face-to-face with a moray eel and discovered that I was a little underweighted; on another dive with Martin, I learned a valuable lesson about double-checking ALL my gear before my entry. (Bottom bolt on my BP/W popped. Thought it was at the bottom of the sea, but I lucked out. It fell in the boat.) It didn't matter what the context was; these guys were professional, helpful, and patient at all times.

Same goes for boat captains Olman, Edwin and Manuel, and shop admin Michaela.

I couldn't ask for better conditions or a better place to practice, learn, and refine my skills. There are other dive operations on Roatan, and I'm sure they're very good, but in all honesty I've got no reason to want to dive with anyone else. The Bananarama Dive Centre rocks.

IMG_4466.jpgIMG_4479.jpgIMG_4481.jpgIMG_4484.jpgIMG_4488.jpg

Back
Top Bottom