Recreational divers experience with BP/W after 20 yrs in a traditional BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbarnett51

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There are tons of BP/W threads but there are still lots of recreational divers asking if bp/w is for them. Well I have had just about every type of jacket and back inflate bc's over the years. They have come a long way in comfort and performance from the one I had when I was 14. I thought I had found the ultimate system for me when Aqualung came out with the first back inflate with i3 system. This system is really really nice. However, I kept thinking how bulky I felt, especially when spearfishing in the lake. I am always in little nooks and crannies etc... After lots of thought I jumped right in and bought a HOG 32lb wing with ss bp and harness. I got it from Jim Lapenta on this board and got a nice price. Jim got it to me quickly, assembled it, and even threw in one of his shirts(which is a cool design). So that was a great experience and I feel comfortable recommending him.

Getting it setup:

The adjustments were easy to make and I was instantly excited about the customization options. You can easily add d rings, weights, knives, lights etc.. in any configuration that works for you. Getting the harness to fit while dry was easy. However, it all changed in the pool! I found the process of getting the right fit to be very tedious. The smallest adjustment in one area would affect another area. At first my shoulder straps were way to loose once I got underwater, then I had issues with the system causing me to roll when I leaned to one side. I tried combinations of cam band weights, weights on my waist, moving my tank up and down a little, and adjusting my harness. After lots of trial and error I got it dialed in.

I bought XS Scuba weight pockets with Velcro fronts. These were easy to use and fairly ditchable if needed. One thing I enjoyed is using less weight. My bp/w eliminated 6-8lbs of necessary weight. I got my weight requirements dialed in for all my suits...rash guard, 3mm, and 7mm 2piece with hood. I really didn't have to make any adjustments to the harness. I slightly let out the shoulders for the 7mm but that took about 1 sec. This was a relief bc I had read in a previous thread that it was a PITA to make these types of adjustments. It simply isn't. Nor is it tough to don on and off like I have read. Loosening and tightening the harness is simple and can be done to fit any change in exposure suit.

For a new diver these adjustments would be overwhelming to do alone. Its not hard but I am not sure a new diver would recognize changes that needed to be made. It is different than adjusting a traditional BC. However, an instructor could probably quickly make these adjustments. It is nothing a new diver should shy away from I just recommend getting in the pool with your instructor to make sure everything is done correctly.

There are also numerous youtube videos on threading a bp, adjusting your harness, and recommended gear configurations. These might be helpful.

Diving:

What can I say. It was fantastic. Once I got it adjusted properly I was amazed at how easy it was to achieve proper buoyancy and trim. The system is every bit as comfortable underwater as my BCs but it felt like it was half the size. It is very streamlined, very comfortable, and very simple. It was like the entire setup was molded to my specific body. My mobility was better, and I was certainly more streamlined. Thankfully I did not experience some of the issues I read about. The adjustments between a shirt, 3mm, and 7mm were not an issue like some complained. It floated me just fine on the surface, and the bp felt custom made..It is really a comfortable way to dive.

Overall opinion:

Because of all the praise for bp/w on this forum, I almost wish I could offer some real criticism...but I can't. This is the best, most versatile system I have used in my 23 years of diving. Is it for the casual recreational diver? I would say YES. As long as you have someone help you make adjustments I think it would cure a lot of the buoyancy issues I see on dive boats. Of course those issues could be cured by spending time with an instructor as well. A bp/w packs nicely and is easy to maintain. It also dries quicker bc of less material. Not really important but nice when you are in a hotel.

Lastly

Gear review:
I have little to compare the HOG to because I have not owned other bp/w. However the quality appears to be high. The fit and finish of all parts is first class and same with all the hardware. I tried an Apeks setup 2 weeks ago and the HOG was on par with that system. I got a wild hair and ordered the red harness which I think looks pretty dang cool. But that is personal opinion and not really relevant! I simply went with HOG bc they had what I wanted and I have had good experiences with their regs. I am sure other bp/w are similar. The harness is a basic setup and after researching the heck out of it and handling some deluxe harnesses I am convinced the standard harness is the way to go. At least it is for me. The wing looks great and performs well. The 32lb wing is a great size for single tank recreational divers. It does not need a STA to keep the tank rock solid. There is no movement at all. Overall I am very pleased with my choice. I feel that I got a first class bp/w for less than most other setups.

I cant wait to get back in the lake on Friday! Then heading to the Oriskany in less than a month!

This pic is before I made many adjustments. But shows you the basic setup

Cool. One thing sticks out at me though from the picture. The LP inflator hose seems really long. My corrugated hose is 16" long + 3" for the inflator mechanism. At that length it tucks neatly into my left d-ring without all that overhang.

I have the same Hog SS plate that you have although I'm currently not using it. That is my winter/salt water plate. My summer/freshwater plate is a cheap generic AL plate that weighs 3lbs less. I don't use any of the weight pockets I bought last year anymore.

It tucks neatly away when its on. I don't know if its longer or not but I couldn't get away with a shorter one. Ill check it out though.

photo.jpg

Here's what mine looks like. The hose matches the webbing and d-ring in terms of length and the LP inflator is just long enough to allow the routing from the turret to the inflator mechanism. It's as short as possible while will allowing it to be secured in the d-ring.

If that sounds like yours when you are wearing it, then it's fine. Maybe the picture you posted doesn't represent.

I am not sure but Ill check it out. It didn't seem long while I was diving but I have been using the i3 system for the last year so I might not have noticed. In the picture I have the hose held on the harness with the rubber piece in a weird way. I didn't keep it like that and the hose seemed pretty much the same length as the d ring. But now you got me thinking.

I know there will be more adjustments to come.

LOL, I love stories like this. I have no idea why they still start people off with stabby jacks. I too eventually tried this about 20 something years into my dive hobby.
The DIR crowd has some really quick info on how to set them up right and quickly if you do a web search.

When moving from steels back to ALs I hated having to put a weight belt back on, so I got a set of Zeagle Zip-Touch pockets to don when I need weight for ALs or drysuit, quick ditch and tuck away nicely on your hip so sort of operates like an integrated weight bc in those situations, then take off when not needed. Unless you need so much weight that having it on yoru hips throws you out of trim.
All of our plates are AL.

My girl was complaining about the tanks shifting all over the place on her SP BC when she started using our LP85s, got her the short DiveRite plate and harness with travel wing, Viola problem solved. DSS has probably the most extensive sizing options on BP/W though, just wish they made the lighter version in a less expensive config than that Kydex, great plate though, plus you can get the quick adjust feature sort of like the euro Harpa gizmo or Cinch thingamabob. Regardless of brand, I feel that the BP/W sector is where the playing field levels out a bit. The simplicity leaves not much to improve on, and price point becomes more brand centric.

You will never go back :)

PS: if you are looking for an Oriskany bud, give a shout.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom