I'm a big boy now!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmasin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After many years of shooting with a Canon G10 and single Sea and Sea YS-01, I've made the leap to DSLR. The G10 was great, and I'm really glad I started there... it's generated some nice images over the years, but it was time to have more control and capability. Manual settings for the G10 are very limited, and adjustments underwater quite frustrating.

I've shot DSLR on land since the early days of digital, starting with a D70. After much deliberation I decided putting my D300 in the water didn't make sense, so took the leap and got a D7100 with Nauticam housing!

Here she is fresh out of the box... also have a port for a 105mm macro, got a second YS-01, arms/clamps etc. Wide angle will need to wait until the funds recharge.

I can't wait to get it in the water! but it is a bit intimidating compared to the G10... but Bonaire here I come! 42 days! :D

20130528_800.jpg

Jonathan Masin Scuba Photography

Also.. invest in some floatation elements, a decent focus light and a good boltsnap lanyard to clip to your right shoulder Dring. Wouldn't want to lose such a pretty baby.
I can also reccomend the +5 and +10 SubSee diopters..

Carmen (my D700 in a Aquaticahousing) says hi.. :D

congratulations!!!! you will love it!!!!!! all you need now is a lot of practice!!! and patience!!!!

Thanks all!

I do have a lanyard, but wasn't sure what to do for floatation yet... thoughts on how much?

Focus light is on the list... found a good thread here with some recos...

Yeah patience... I'm fully aware this will not start out as a photo extravaganza :) and my first trip may turn out worse photos than the G10 I'm used to... but in the long run, I can't be more excited!

Try ISO 200, Aperture 29, and Shutter 1/160 as a basesetting when you descend.. Then work from that...

Awesome! I am just about ready to take the plunge myself and have been doing my research on housings and if the lenses I have are good enough. I am hoping to have purchased my stuff sometime in the next couple of months.

I can't wait to see your pictures.

Jon

I was "this close" to getting the Nauticam housing for my D7000, but decided to go with one for my RX100 instead. We'll see how long that lasts, I guess, but I expect it'll do all I need it to do.

I've got the big blue focus light. I'll be taking it to Bonaire with me in a few weeks, so if that's on your list of possibles, I'll let you know how it works out.

Also, don't expect the t-shirt they promise with the warranty card to arrive soon! I still don't have mine and it's been a few months.

Jon, do it! :) I can't wait either... sadly I will have to, no way to get wet between now and mid-July...

James, thanks, please do post what you think about the focus light, my list is a clean slate at the moment... still deciding how to mount it. the NA-D7100 apparently only comes with two locations to mount balls which are both taken up by arms. There is a cold shoe on the lens-port... so this is the likely place I guess.

Back
Top Bottom