Coming to Maui June 5-20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I will be in Maui June 5-20. Looking for reccomendations for a dive shop and possibly a dive buddy. Staying in Kihei the first 10 days then 5 more in Kaanapali.

We just returned from Maui "BUMMER". Lot's of good shore dives there. Don't be afraid to just show up at a spot and find divers in the parking lot (I have done this many times) with good results. Also if you get the chance, try going on a scooter dive with www.mauiscooterdivers.com You will have a blast. Wish I were back there to go diving with you. ENJOY

There is great shore diving on Maui, but it's worth going out on a boat a time or two, if you haven't been there before. We have used B&B, Ed Robinson, and Mike Severns for boats. B&B is a very friendly shop and their boats are especially good for novice divers. I prefer the Mike Severns operation, because Pauline, the owner (who goes out on the boat and guides) is a co-author of one of the guides to Hawaiian marine life, and they focus on showing you unusual endemic species. There are critter ID books on the boat, so you can look up what you have seen.

For shore diving, the Kihei area is rich in sites. We often dive Ulua Beach, which has a very easy entry, and Makena landing is very sheltered and easy as well. Take a look at alohashoredivers.com, or shorediving.com, for information, or pick up a copy of the Divers Guide to Maui. My favorite site on the island is the Mala Pier, which is in Lahaina. You can do it as a day dive from shore, but I HIGHLY recommend, if you like night diving, that you do it at night with the Lahaina Divers folks. It's a fantastic dive in the daytime, with lots of structure, tons of life, and great photo opportunities, but it absolutely rocks at night. I would not want to do the legal entry at night from shore, though.

FYI. Not sure exactly when this is going to happen but they are going to be repairing Mala wharf/Pier pretty soon. Not sure how that is going to effect diving but they will probably restrict the area for safety reasons.

---------- Post added June 4th, 2013 at 12:03 PM ----------

We just returned from Maui "BUMMER". Lot's of good shore dives there. Don't be afraid to just show up at a spot and find divers in the parking lot (I have done this many times) with good results. Also if you get the chance, try going on a scooter dive with www.mauiscooterdivers.com You will have a blast. Wish I were back there to go diving with you. ENJOY

Scooter on!

Greg

How's the weather over there ?. It's 102 today and building up to be 110 by saturaday :confused:. Guess I never should have left.

Its 87 today with a cool breeze but we also have a 8-12 foot swell on the south shores again.

Instead of starting another, I would like to try to add to this one. I will be in Maui this September to tie the knot (again). Will be in the Lahaina area and I am looking for a reputable boat that hits some really nice stuff that I can't see in SFlo where I dive regularly. Any specific information would be appreciate.

Definitely do a scooter dive with Greg!

As far as boats in Lahaina...check out Extended Horizons and Lahaina Divers. EH has a smaller boat, with a more personal atmosphere. LD has larger boats, but you may luck out and get a charter with few customers.

Kihei- Maui Dive Shop. Kaanapali, Lahaina Divers for boat excursions, Maui Dive shop if you just want rental gear for shore dives. Maui DIve Shop gives away an excellent shore diving guide. Alss, lots of divers there to hook up with for shore diving.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom