Roatan Suggestions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike151

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I feel that after Grand Cayman, and Ambergris Caye Belize, we have our sights set on Roatan, Honduras.
I'm looking for suggestions such as accommodations, Dive Shops, What area of the island is best for shore snorkeling (for wife and I. She can't dive).
Not necessarily looking for a low budget trip but that would be a plus as we're not wealthy. Possibly at least one wreck dive suggestion for me.
Any experienced Roatan divers with comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

I've been four times - all of them to the West End; it's where all the dive ops are and I've made fast friends with the owners of Coconut Tree Divers, PJ and Gaynor. You can't miss the shop if you're staying in the West End - it's the first dive shop on the strip and there will be a gaggle of divers outside all day long. Shore diving I'm not sure about but I'm sure they can point you at something. There are some nice hotels nearby that aren't expensive ($45-50 per night) See this site for hotels: Roatan Hotels | Roatan We've always stayed at Posada Las Orcheadias which is secluded but within easy walking distance of everything you need. There are a number of decent wrecks to do and you'll get at least one in. The beauty of Roatan is the variety of differing dives within easy reach of West End (some nice swim-throughs too)

Have fun.

SM

What's your budget? Do you want isolation or easy access to West End village, which is best for me but perhaps not you.

Reactions: Doc
What's your budget? Do you want isolation or easy access to West End village, which is best for me but perhaps not you.
Isolation? Well, depends on the amount of Cruise Ship and other foot traffic. If there's a lot of that going on, I would prefer isolation if within means.
We really don't have a budget per say but I expect to spend probably 1,200 for a hotel and whatever for the diving. Would appreciate a great view from our hotel and not a far walk to the dive facility.

I'd say the more pertinent question is how much diving are you looking to do? If wife doesn't dive then she's going to be awfully bored...

I'd say the more pertinent question is how much diving are you looking to do? If wife doesn't dive then she's going to be awfully bored...
Probably 4 2 tank dives at least.
I snorkel with her so once I come in from a dive trip, we hop on a boat and go snorkel. I'm in the water ALL DAY!

Probably 4 2 tank dives at least.
I snorkel with her so once I come in from a dive trip, we hop on a boat and go snorkel. I'm in the water ALL DAY!

The 'in the water all day' part is a good start. I don't know how long you plan on being there, but if you are planning (4) 2 tank dives, then most people would say it sounds like you'll be there for 3-4 days. Roatan caters to marathon divers. There is no local culture to immerse yourself in so putting aside a few days to hike through rainforests, go to fish markets, and stuff like that is going to prove to be a huge mistake. If your wife is the type that likes to kick back and read a few books while you dive then you should be fine. I stayed what was about a 30 min drive from the West End.

Yeah, we don't go for hiking or zipline or none of that stuff. We like the Water and what's under it. She usually relaxes by the pool while I dive. But I do want our hotel to be near the dive shop. Within a short walk. I don't want to rent a car.

West End is packed with shops and is an easy walk. You won't have to worry about needing to walk a far distance if you are anywhere on the West End. People can give you a good idea on places to stay. I was a good distance away (but also had a car). I went to the West End once. Wasn't my thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom