How many ways to de-fog your mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adventure-Ocean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Though I know there are a lot of products out there used to de-fog our masks, on Guam the locals have used the leaf off a vine that grows right up to the water for many years. It worked better than spitting on the lens or some of the products sold at the dive shops. We just crushed a leaf on the inside of the mask before you wet it and rub it all around the glass. Wash it out and go. Anyone try this before?

Adventure-Ocean

Its probably the juice in the leaf thats defogging. Its kinda like any defog, if you create a barrier between the lens and your face it will fog less. I still use baby shampoo for my masks. i tend to get the travel size bottles so they can fit in a pocket and i always have it with me.

I swear by 500 psi defog. It's like a toothpaste for your mask. I put it on the mask dry. Let it cure. Lasts two days in the ocean of 4+ dives per day. Up here in the great lakes I usually apply every other weekend. We call it camel snot.

Fresh live kelp leave. Rub it around on the inside of your mask and wear, works great and in So Cal there is no shortage.

in Aruba I've seen people use sea fans to defog the inside of masks.

there was a orange spunge in Ponape that the locals used to use. it had basically a soapy chemical inside the spunge. Worked really well.

I've had my mask 5 odd years now and it just doesn't fog ever anymore. it looks old and crappy and doesn't have the side visability new masks do but never having to worry about defogging is a good day's diving :)

when I've swapped masks with a buddy/student because of fogging I generally leave about 10mm of water in the bottom of the mask and swush it around to keep seeing.

I also use "500 psi" but I never heard of letting it dry and cure. I'll have to give that a shot.

I really buy into the whole -cool it all down theory. face and mask down to the same temp as the water (temperate or tropical)
Prevention rather than cure basicly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom