Sidemount canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleHawerchuck

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I'm taking my Cavern + Intro to cave in SM configuration this winter and I'm looking for a suitable can light.

I've been recommended the Dive Rite RX10 w/ SM lid and this is my first choice at the moment.

But my LDS sells Hollis LED 25W, and I can't find the cord lenght specs. Is anyone diving SM with a LED 25W w/ SM lid? Is the power cord longer than a standard BM can light cause I don't want to get "a little arm" because of this.

Also, if anyone have general recommendations on the two models (DR / Hollis) used in SM configuration? Thanks

Like "The" Dale Hawerchuk of hockey fame?
I think you'll like the Hollis LED. It presents a nice beam for cave diving. Nice hot spot with some spill for seeing the cave. I dove with a guy that had one, and it was almost identical to my Light Monkey 21W LED. I don't know the length of the cord though.

Light monkey offers a few, and you should check Cave Adventurers' stock.

Like "The" Dale Hawerchuk of hockey fame?
I think you'll like the Hollis LED. It presents a nice beam for cave diving. Nice hot spot with some spill for seeing the cave. I dove with a guy that had one, and it was almost identical to my Light Monkey 21W LED. I don't know the length of the cord though.

Exactly, though I'm not "The" one. Did he was using it in SM configuration?

Having handled the Hollis and the Dive Rite ones, I can confidently say: Get the one from Underwater Light Dude. His lights are used all over FL on sidemount cave dives. They're absolutely the best lights out there, and Bobby is one-of-a-kind in terms of quality and service.

I have the Hollis LED15, it is an awesome little light. I've compared it to lights double the price or more and there is almost nothing in it. The burn time is 5+hrs. I'm fairly tall with long arms and the std cord is the right length. I can't imagine that they would make a SM version without taking into account the difference in cord length for the intended butt mounting position.

I can't imagine that they would make a SM version without taking into account the difference in cord length for the intended butt mounting position.

I was thinking the same, just wanted to be sure. I'm the "if it can happen it will happen" kind of guy.

That's why I want to get it from my LDS and don't bother with it if I have issues..

Thank you for your input.

It really depends on where you mount your canister light. Some sidemount divers like to mount the canister in the small of their backs. If you do this you can go with a standard length cord. Personally, I don't like this method. I've broken a light going through a restriction when I had a light with a short cord and had to keep it mounted over my butt plate (a little lower than the lower back but still not the lowest point). Standard light cord lengths are about 42 inches. I get all my lights with 50 inch cords and that length works out well for me. So, unless you're freakishly tall 50 inches should be sufficient.

As for the lights you are considering, keep in mind that most of the LED canister lights on the market do not have a very focused spot. I've heard lots of reports of people having difficulty noticing a signal from their buddy because of this. I only know of one LED canister light brand on the market that looks like an HID in the water and has enough of a focused spot to make buddy communication easily seen.

I'm using a Light and Motion Sola Tech light, no cord or cannister. So far so good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom