Help finding a diving research placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harvey1

New
Reaction score
​Hi, I'm after some advice on dive research projects/internships. I'm lucky enough to have some time to go travelling after graduating, and would obviously like to spend some of that time diving. Research/volunteering projects appeal, but I'm struggling to find the right one. The internet is awash with what essentially reads as "pay us a fortune to do your open water, then spend 2 weeks working out how much coral and wildlife you and your friends destroyed". I'd rather get involved with something more rewarding and something that offers more challenging diving, a placement where dive experience is a pre-requisit. Does anyone know of any good schemes? or even better have some contacts? Thanks in advance.

I got nuthin' other than a few names and ideas of the local organizations around me in SoFla (what I think the rest of the world calls Southeast Florida).

REEF
Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF) | Diving That Counts
Vone Research
VOn Research

There are many other groups down here in various parts of Florida, but I am a little blurry on who, where, what, they are
Many of them are volunteer staffed, but there are definitely some internships where you are in the water,
as well as answering phones, gutting fish, and whatever else interns do.
As far as the Florida Keys go, I would recommend contacting Scubaboard members Netdoc and or Mselenaous as I have seen upon several occasions that they do volunteer work down there and certainly seem to know about many different organizations not just in Florida, but internationally as well.

Chug
Volunteers as often as possible on Lionfish elimination teams.

Back
Top Bottom