Refresher after a few years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AevnsGrandpa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I haven't dove since 2009 and really want toget back out next spring. I am a PADI AOW with about 60 dives. What would be recomended do practice, do, or take to get myself back up to speed?

Thanks!!

Jeff

see if your LDS does a "refresher" or a "skills clinic".

Do you have a dive op nearby to do a refresher course?

Or if you have access to a pool and have your own gear plus another diver friend you could try that.

If it were me I would refresh myself with the OW/AOW syllabus stuff such as dive decompression theory, tables and so on, you might be surprised how much you have forgotten, and then I would try to get a one on one with a DM/Instructor in confined water.

I would ask the LDS basically to do a scuba review/refresher type dive - focussing on a weight and buoyancy check, refresher on mask clearing, regulator recovery and ascent and descent procedures. See how quickly it all comes back, you might be pleasantly surprised and find that is all you need.

However this should show you what else you might need, which you can then sort out with the LDS.

Your profile says you own your own gear - don't forget that if it has sat un-used for four years you should really as a minimum get the regulators and BCD checked and serviced to make sure they have safely survived storage in a fit state to trust your life to them again,

Grab the chance - get wet again and enjoy - have fun - Phil

Just getting back into diving myself and had a DM tell me it was like ridding a bike, once you get back in the water it will come back to you. In my case it was not true, I decided to do a refresher and found out how much I had forgotten. I see on club dives people turn up who have not dived in some time and put themselves and others at risk, I recommend to do refresher or at the very least spend some time with a experienced diver and get your skills back. And as phil_c posted make sure all your gear services are up to date.

Just getting back into diving myself and had a DM tell me it was like ridding a bike, once you get back in the water it will come back to you..

Personally, I strongly disagree with this advice. Whilst general 'water comfort' might return quickly, many of the specific skills are perishable. This is especially true of the emergency / contingency skills that are taught on Open Water (air-sharing, free-flow regulator breathing etc).

It is easy to overlook those skills because you rarely use them (and hope not to do so). However, if/when you DO need them, they need to be ingrained, fluid and timely.

If you have access to an experienced diver (mentor) then it may be sufficient to simply recap / practice those core skills with them. Many divers don't have access to an experienced mentor however - so the alternative option is to undertake a more formal (paid for) refresher with a dive professional. For instance, the PADI 'Scuba Review'. Formal refreshers will cover the entire core syllabus of skills (stuff that might otherwise be overlooked) and will also help reacquaint you with buoyancy and weighting (which may have changed since your last dive) etc.

Taking a PADI refresher couse ins convenient and it includes good concise review materials which is better than scanning your OW and AOW materials. However, if you can get pool time with an active experienced mentor, and review equipment assembly, tear down, and in water skills and practice them, you will have value there too. Debbie and I mark pool time before every recreational dive trip if we have been out of the water 6 months or more, and it makes a big difference. In the end, I would encourage the refresher. You'll get a sticker and dive operators will recognize it and hassle you less about being out of the water for a few years. In fact, some dive operators in their promotiional material state they require a refresher course at their location if you have not dove for a specified period.
DIvemasterDennis

I think it's worth the time and expense to get in a pool with a pro and review all the emergency skills. But if you tend to be a calm person, I don't think there is anything wrong with taking your gear to a pool and reviewing the skills on your own. The major reason for having a professional with you is to ensure your safety, should you try to do something like a mask remove and replace and choke and panic.

Your open water manual should have a list of the skills you have gone through. I don't think all of them are that important to review, but mask skills, disconnecting the inflator hose, air-sharing, and buoyancy control should definitely be practiced.

Back
Top Bottom