Can light - worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Years ago I used my UK600 light for night diving with a smaller Q-light as a second and was quite happy.

When I was preparing for last year's New Year's Eve dive I dusted off the UK600, put in new batteries and was aghast how dim it was compared to the DRIS 1000 lumen.

The eyes adapt well to low light. The DRIS light is fine, IMHO, but carrying a second light is a good idea.

It depends on what can light you get. We have the DRIS for back up lights, while bright they do not compare with our can lights for brightness.

Have you felt your light not bright enough during a dive? Can lights can be several times brighter than the 1K. Do you have something else to route your long hose under? Newness of batteries will affect brightness of your light too unless you are using rechargeables that you charge before each day of diving.

Last edited:
What kind of diving are you doing, and how does your existing light seem to meet your needs?

For tropical night diving, a canister light is, in my opinion, overkill. For diving low viz in the Eastern Pacific, you often need a LOT of power to punch through the murk, and lights are a really useful adjunct to keeping buddy teams together.

Five years ago, I would have said anybody diving California or Washington needed a canister light, but nowadays, there are lights that are plenty bright that don't require canisters. Their limitation is burn time, but if you are doing short dives, or rarely do multiple dives in a day, you may not need the power reservoir that a canister gives you.

Do a couple of 2-1/2 hour cave dives back-to-back, see if your little UK light is still burning.

My big ol' can light will still have juice to spare.

While the DRIS 1000 lumen lights are pretty decent, they don't compare to a canister light. My smallest can light is a 1500 lumen light that blows away my DRIS light. But it also has 3 LEDs and better reflectors. I also have a SEAC R1 that is rated at 150 lumen but is brighter than the DRIS 1000 lumen. I'm not saying DRIS is lying about their light. They're not. The bulb they use is rated at 1000 lumens. The issue is the way that bulb is focused. Lux is actually a more accurate way to measure light brightness.

Here's a write up on lumen vs lux.

Lumen vs Lux « Rob Neto

The best light for you will depend on the type of diving you're using it for. Lights can be too bright for some conditions. In regards to can lights I will use the lamp head that is best for the conditions I'm diving. As far as handheld lights I like the ones that have differing powers so if I don't want 100% I can drop it down to 50% or 30% for conditions that call for less light.

The speed with which LED and battery technology is progressing, the concept of canister lights will soon become irrelevant for all but the most expeditionary, long-duration cave dives.

As for recreational/open-water divers equipping with canister lights due to 'beginning with the end in mind' - that's just a rip-off. By the time those divers reach a stage of diving development where that can light is necessary, their original can light's battery duration/charge holding will have ground down to nothing...and technology will have probably vastly superseded that light's capabilities anyway...

As for recreational/open-water divers equipping with canister lights due to 'beginning with the end in mind' - that's just a rip-off. By the time those divers reach a stage of diving development where that can light is necessary, their original can light's battery duration/charge holding will have ground down to nothing...and technology will have probably vastly superseded that light's capabilities anyway...

IDK about that. I purchased a 21 Watt HID for recreational diving in San Fran. 850+ dives later (a few new batteries due to my own mistakes) and a few upgrades -my light can has seen me through full cave, and is still going strong. The power was quite useful in Monterey as a recreational diver for cutting through the low vis, keeping the dive team together and signaling.

I made the decision early on to buy a light that would not limit my progress, and so far that decision has payed off. In fact, I will dive the same light in a cave tomorrow.

Do you intend to dive cave, tech, or take certain classes with equipment requirements? If so, I'd suggest looking ahead before having to purchase twice :).

Last edited:
Can lights can give you more placement flexibility, reduced chance of loss, but increased snag or entanglement hazard in addition to the things already mentioned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom