Why waste money on training!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wannabedivebum

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys why waste your own hard earned dollars on trivial things like training when you can just learn the old fashioned way? Read an article or two and completely rely on your computer! Qualified shmalified! Check out this article on Tech diving. You too can be a decompression diver, with little to no effort at all!

How To Scuba Dive | Scuba Diving Training & Certification | Scuba Diving

At the bottom it does mention something about training in a few words but I was too pumped to bother reading that far, Im a deco diver now guys! Doria here I come...

*disclaimer- This post is in its entirety is written with seething sarcasm. Do not dive beyond your limits*

Yes, why waste your money on any classes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree, look where being too damn cheap to get training got the Spivey clan. Oh wait. Maybe not a good example.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Agree, look where being too damn cheap to get training got the Spivey clan. Oh wait. Maybe not a good example.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Makes you wonder how many lost divers were diving within the limits of their training.

and the final paragraph from that article word for word.

Bottom Line — Stage-decompression diving requires training and experience beyond the norm. The only way to truly learn to properly execute stage-decompression dives is to seek out a quality training program from an experienced, knowledgeable instructor. While there are increased risks involved, done properly the risks of stage-decompression diving are manageable within an acceptable level.

before standards & knowledge of deco diving --- you were playing russian roulette with an unknown number of chambers

Courses are just another way of learning the basics of the subject matter in-question. Diving is a physical skill and like all physical skills, it needs to be developed through doing. You can understand much of what needs to be done through reading, but doing it is another matter.

Some of the best cave divers I've dived with: Benjamin (my mentor), Mount, Exley and Palmer never took a cave diving course, but learned by diving. Some went on to create/manage dive training organizations or complete world record dives. I've yet to hear anyone say that they were anything but competent in their abilities, although some have questioned their acceptable level of risk...

During the early days of diving, training was primarily undertaken through the mentoring process in a club setting. Most divers at the time learned to dive an overhead environment by diving with someone who had experience in doing it. Today it's believed that the only way to learn this skill is through an Instructor.

Much of the same process largely goes on today, although courses are less robust and usually require many of them before the basics of diving can be learned. For this reason, I encourage every new diver to seek-out a dive club (either initially or immediately after becoming certified).

I'm not encouraging anyone to not get training, but there are other ways of learning other than taking a course. You don't for example need to take a boat diving or dry suit specialty to dive on a boat or use a dry suit (unless you want to). Regardless, after you take all the courses, you still will require experience. Courses have a tendency to shorten the timeline to the stage where you become comfortable enough to start diving in a particular environment and really start the learning process.

Some want a quick course, while others seek more comprehensive training before they start this adventure. In either case, what the underwater world really has to offer is not captured in any book, the classroom or in the pool. It's all about being safe in the doing. There's a lot of ocean out there and it's a wonderful journey...

Hey guys why waste your own hard earned dollars on trivial things like training when you can just learn the old fashioned way? Read an article or two and completely rely on your computer! Qualified shmalified! Check out this article on Tech diving. You too can be a decompression diver, with little to no effort at all!

How To Scuba Dive | Scuba Diving Training & Certification | Scuba Diving

At the bottom it does mention something about training in a few words but I was too pumped to bother reading that far, Im a deco diver now guys! Doria here I come...

*disclaimer- This post is in its entirety is written with seething sarcasm. Do not dive beyond your limits*

Although the article is dangerously subject to misinterpretation, I think it's possible to interpret it as an academic discussion or overview of what staged deco diving is like, not a tutorial on how to do it. But it's a difficult position to take. While on one hand, the conclusion that "The only way to truly learn to properly execute stage-decompression dives is to seek out a quality training program from an experienced, knowledgeable instructor" sounds like a clear admonition, some of the "Tips for Avoiding the Chamber" section seems to be worded in a way that could easily be interpreted as more tutorial than academic discussion.

It is horribly irresponsible of Scuba Diving magazine to publish this.

Its not so much the material posted, It is the wording and the "tone" the article adopts. Making it seem as if anyone could slap a computer on their wrists and start doing some deco. I have to admit the end does say get training and risks are mentioned, however this is added as almost an after thought. "Tips" for deco diving would be directed at people who most likely already have the training and are actively doing these dives. To me, this article seems to be targeting recreational divers who are looking to maybe expand into technical, or perhaps thought decompression diving was too dangerous. In that sense I think it is doing these people a disservice and lessening the risks associated with this type of diving and the amount of training required to do it safely. I just wanted to see the rest of your takes on this article, as it is not the first time I have seen this magazine publish articles that may be misleading.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom