Getting started "on the cheap"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fjpatrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Eric's post about minimalist diving sort of morphed into a cheap gear discussion but I thought I'd make a new thread asking people what "cheap" gear they've found and would recommend as decent start-up kits for us newbs. Below is the list I came up with based upon Eric's. Some of this wouldn't be necessary for warm-water diving and certainly wouldn't be enough for cold water diving, but it's a good all-purpose "getting started" list.

I don't want this to be an argument on new versus used or some BS "isn't your life worth it" marketing hype saying cheap is bad. We can save those discussions for elsewhere, if possible.

Tell us what you've found as far as good deals and prices on NEW gear. You can assume rental tanks, if that helps.

HOG D1 reg 1st&2nd $180.00 (DiveRightInScuba.com)
HOG D1 second (octo) $109.95
Mask/snorkel/fins $40.00 (US Divers "snorkel package" at Walmart--full foot fins, though- some that don't like that)
NeoSport 5mm wetsuit $120.00 (wetsuitwearhouse.com)
Rubber weightbelt with 18# of weights $75.00
Neosport 7mm Booties $40.00 (wetsuitwearhouse.com)
Hyperflex 5mm Gloves $30.00 (wetsuitwearhouse.com)
Console $150.00 (Tusa 3 gauge console at leisurepro.com)
Zeagle Express Tech BCD: $269.99 (prime scuba, $279@ amazon.com)

Total........................................$1014.94

Good job. Need to add a bottom timer of some sort... you can sometimes find recreational dive computers for around $150 - $200. Or a dive watch.

Best wishes.

I could actually get about $100 cheaper by buying a nylon weight belt and not assuming a purchase of weights, and switching to a 3mm wetsuit. Also, if assuming warm water, no gloves might be an option, or lighter/cheaper booties.

So doing that and adding the dive computer rhwestfall linked to, we're still right around $1k for a fully kitted diver with all new gear. Not too bad.

I would spend a little more on mask and fins. A good fitting dive mask and dive fins would be very important to me. A Tusa Liberator dive mask can be found for $50 on leisurepro.com. I believe the Liberator design can also be found in other brands for cheaper now. Several brands of open heel and full foot dive fins are available on leisurepro.com for less than $50.

Great ideas on your list!

I've never once had a problem with mask fit. I clear my mask when I need to and haven't ever found that to be an issue. I guess I'm just lucky; or maybe I've never had one that "truly fit"?

I got that same regulator set as my first set, and they work great!

This looks like a good starting point that could easily be tweaked here and there to get customization. For example, throw in a mechanical SPG (+$70) with the reg set, and add a starter wrist computer (+250) instead of the console (-150), and you're diving with a dive computer for just $170 more.

I'd also say add a Trilobite to have entanglement cutting capability (+$25), or EMT shears (+7) and EMT shear holster (+14).

Also, a great tech tip I came across is to buy a bicyle inner tube, and cut rubber bands out of it. Great for securing things like dive lights, corrugated hozes, and other miscellaneous stuff. I put one around my DSMB to stop it from unfurling when I would giant stride in.

One possible issue I noticed - you have 7mm booties w/full foot fins. Not sure if that combination will work well.

Overall, looks pretty good.

Edit: You can also snag used gear from dive shops during the post-season. At least, the dive shops that upgrade their student gear every year or so.

Mask/snorkel/fins $40.00 (US Divers "snorkel package" at Walmart--full foot fins, though- some that don't like that)

Replace Hog/Edge + Tusa console with:
Used Conshelf XIV 1st & 2nd
Used Conshelf XIV 2nd (octo)
w/ BC hose & an old console
= $75 - $125 on ebay.

Parts availability is much easier with the Conshelf, plus it has been in production for a very long time. Deep performance will not be as good as the Hog, but the US Navy rates the Conshelf XIV down to 200+ depth with no issues.

I don't think a 5mm would be thick enough, nor will it last long. It'll be compressed to a 2.5mm suit after one year of diving. I crushed my Henderson Thermoprene 7mm after a year and a half of diving.

The best bargain for the money is the Deep See 2-piece 6.5mm, which you can find for about $229 new.

Eric's post about minimalist diving sort of morphed into a cheap gear discussion but I thought I'd make a new thread asking people what "cheap" gear they've found and would recommend as decent start-up kits for us newbs. Below is the list I came up with based upon Eric's. Some of this wouldn't be necessary for warm-water diving and certainly wouldn't be enough for cold water diving, but it's a good all-purpose "getting started" list.

I don't want this to be an argument on new versus used or some BS "isn't your life worth it" marketing hype saying cheap is bad. We can save those discussions for elsewhere, if possible.

Tell us what you've found as far as good deals and prices on NEW gear. You can assume rental tanks, if that helps.

Those are some darn good prices ... I paid way more than $180 for my Hog D1 sets.

Back when I was looking at my first set of gear I went with a TUSA package ... Imprex Pro BCD and I don't even remember the model regulator anymore. It was pretty good gear at a pretty low price that got me in the water a lot during those first couple years. After that I discovered BP/W and picked up a couple nice Apeks DST regs from a shop that was going out of business.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom