Good diving in NC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLOCKSCUBAG!RL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey, can anyone tell me some good diving spots in NC during spring break or even during the Summer?? Any places with good visibility? Thanks in advance!

*~ Adventurer for life ~*

Vis is variable based on distance from shore,thermocline events and storms.I range up to Carolina Beach/Wilmington area.Vis offshore when good is often 100'.I start diving there in May and leave in December.The natural wrecks in 100' or so are the most interesting,but the ledges hold the possibility of fossils and prehistoric sized lobster.

Vis can vary from 100+ to arms length, it's always luck of the draw but most times its at least decent. Our wrecks and reefs tend to be on the deep side so AOW and deep experience are a big plus as is nitrox. Expect longer boat rides, 2 hrs or more each way are common and 4 to 6 ft seas are not unusal. Seasick meds are a good idea. This is also no frills diving, do not expect DMs in the water or guides unless you hire them. That said, we have what is considered to be world class wreck diving and seeing 6 to 10 ft sand tiger sharks up close and personal is well worth the effort.

Our wrecks and reefs tend to be on the deep side so AOW and deep experience are a big plus as is nitrox. Expect longer boat rides, 2 hrs or more each way are common and 4 to 6 ft seas are not unusal. Seasick meds are a good idea. This is also no frills diving, do not expect DMs in the water or guides unless you hire them.

+1 for 2 hour boat ride, 4-6 ft seas, and taking seasick meds. I went meg tooth diving off the coast of Wilmington last year and all of that applied. Depth was right at 100 ft and we all used nitrox. We just had the anchor line to guide us down to depth and back up to the boat. Great couple of dives though. I didn't find any teeth but other people did.

I've heard The Hyde is pretty legit too and like the others have said there are a plethora of other wrecks to dive. I was stationed in NC for a while but didn't get certified until I was getting ready to get out so I only did 1 dive trip there.

GSG here's a link to my utube dive videos from NC. Scroll down and there are several of the nicer wrecks in the MHC/HI areas in there. It will give you an idea from good to bad vis and some of the animals that let us play in there pool.

Randy Glaze - YouTube

My wife and I dive with Aquatic Safaris whenever we get over to NC. Specifically, they are out of Wrightsville Beach, near Wilmington. You can call them up, tell them what day and what wreck you would like to dive and they will schedule it on their calendar. If you get enough divers to jump in, you go. Otherwise you can always pick one that is already scheduled. The Hyde is a perennial favorite due to the massive yet docile tiger sharks that take up residency in the summer. About 85-90 FSW at bottom, maybe 60FSW at the bow. Vis has never been less than 35 feet when we have dived there Aquatic Safaris - NC SCUBA Diving & Certification Lessons

Hyde & Markham are regular sites for Aquatic Safaris. I think 80' is generous, they're closer to 60-65. They can be fun wrecks because they're pretty easy. Also out of Wilmington is Frying Pan Tower...lots of great life out of there!

If you get out of Morehead City, you can hit the Spar and when the water is warm, see 40+ sand tigers some days. Great dive for sharks. You can also hit the U-352 (WWII war wreck) for a good time. There are tons of other wrecks out there too. I usually dive with Discovery Diving when I can, they're a class operation.

There are a great number of dive sites off the NC coast. I will echo what Herman said, be prepared for difficult conditions and deep dives offshore. There are a couple of inshore dives that are great for newer/less experienced divers.

The Indra is one wreck that is inshore, pretty insolated from bad conditions, easy to navigate and can be quite a nice dive.

Check out this website so you can get an idea of the options out there off the NC coast.

http://www.nc-wreckdiving.com/shipwrecks.html

Wow guys, thanks for all the info! Herman and Easdem, I love a good challenge! Don't worry, I'm AOW certified :) it was rough the day I got certified, too! My mask filled with water and it was quite an experience! I will definitely try these sites out!

*~ Adventurer for life ~*

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom