Help me Pick.. Looking for balance of shore snorkeling & boat diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigblue_hi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for assistance picking a spot in the Caribbean. I am a pretty experienced diver, have RB but plan to just do OC this trip. My fiancé is mobility impaired from a car accident and not quite as adventurous so I'm looking for a place with easy beach access from resort for her (walk into water, see some stuff - I realize anything accessible is not the best, but want something worthwhile), where I can also go do some boat diving and see better stuff. That way we can both be happy...

So I'm looking for:
* Healthy reefs (I know Caribbean has had some damage, I don't want a bunch of algae encrusted rock)
* Good balance of megafauna vs smaller stuff.
* Good sandy beaches (not rock/mangrove)
* Good visibility + calm waters for the snorkeling (I can deal with some current for the boat diving part, cuz it'll just be me)
* Balance of accessible shore snorkeling close to resort (doesn't have to be world class, but somewhat decent) and nearby boat diving for some really good action. No cliffs/hikes/tons of stairs.. just walk from the beach in and see stuff.

If it helps.. I grew up in Fiji in the 90s so I don't want to sound like a snob but I grew up with some pretty amazing intact soft corals. I also lived in Micronesia and Tonga so am accustomed to more intact soft coral reefs in the Pacific. I'm sure we'll have a good time with what the Caribbean can offer but I won't be impressed like the average cruise passenger by seeing a couple alge-covered rocks and a parrotfish or two.

Based on research so far.. T&C, and GC seem to be good options. Specifically Grace Bay/Bight Reef seemed to offer some decent shore snorkeling from Windsong/Coral Gardens with nearby great diving via boat. Also heard recommendations for SMB in GC.

I know everyone raves about Bonaire but I've read there's not as much chance for megafauna there and the beaches are not great, more broken coral/etc which will just not work for her mobility.

Any specific suggestions would be very appreciated! I've done a bit of research so far but it's hard to winnow out the inexperienced folks who (no offense to them), see a couple fish and a turtle and think it's the greatest thing in the world.. we live on Oahu so seeing the odd turtle and parrotfish is not amazing.. really want to see some beautiful reefs.

Thanks!

It sounds to me as if you are asking for a combination of things that may not exist at any one place in the Caribbean. Bonaire is the first place that comes to my mind because, at least at Sand Dollar/Den Laman, you can find 1) a small, but real, sandy beach; 2) excellent diving; 3) good-excellent snorkeling; 4) good-excellent vis.; 5) healthy reefs; 6) multiple (but far from all) sites with pretty easy entries (e.g., Oil Slick Leap, Bari Reef from the Sand Dollar beach). As you are aware, big fish other than tarpon are not common on Bonaire, although huge (10,000 individuals) schools of smaller fish are moderately common. We regularly see southern stingrays, spotted eagle rays and an occasional manta. None are common. And, of course, you can do boat diving from Sand Dollar/Den Laman, if you wish.

Perhaps someone else here will have a better suggestion, but I think you will have to make a priority list and find the spot that fits the best.

Does your Fiancee just want easy snorkeling access? Or is she looking to just stay in shallow water and play around on a beach? Because if it is the former, you might look into Little Cayman. All of the diving occurs from moored locations with little to no current and usually very good visibility. The boats have wide stable ladders and low platforms on the back. The reefs on the north side of the island where most of the diving takes place are very shallow, with the depth under the boat usually around 15-20 feet, and she could easily head up to areas where it would be 10' or less at many sites. She could be on the same boat as you and even snorkel over you as you dive on many of the sites. The reefs are very healthy and have lots of diversity. If that is what you are looking for, check into Reef Divers at Little Cayman Beach Resort.

On the other hand, if she just wants a beach to hang around in shallow water and swim out from or snorkel from, Little Cayman is probably not the best choice. Grand Cayman or maybe one of the Virgin Islands? The beaches at T&C are reportedly spectacular, but I am not sure the areas very near the beach have that much to see for snorkelers.

It sounds to me as if you are asking for a combination of things that may not exist at any one place in the Caribbean. Bonaire is the first place that comes to my mind because, at least at Sand Dollar/Den Laman, you can find 1) a small, but real, sandy beach; 2) excellent diving; 3) good-excellent snorkeling; 4) good-excellent vis.; 5) healthy reefs; 6) multiple (but far from all) sites with pretty easy entries (e.g., Oil Slick Leap, Bari Reef from the Sand Dollar beach). As you are aware, big fish other than tarpon are not common on Bonaire, although huge (10,000 individuals) schools of smaller fish are moderately common. We regularly see southern stingrays, spotted eagle rays and an occasional manta. None are common. And, of course, you can do boat diving from Sand Dollar/Den Laman, if you wish.

Perhaps someone else here will have a better suggestion, but I think you will have to make a priority list and find the spot that fits the best.

Absolutely, I think you're spot on that we'll have to balance things. I think another reason I'm leaning away towards Bonaire is because its reputation is so good I would consider visiting alone in future for a more diving-oriented trip. Thanks for your input on the schools of fish and rays!

Consider the sister island to Bonaire - Curacao. Same reef system, entries without fossilized coral. We stay at Atlantis Dive Apartments which is close to Willemstad (main town) with touristy things to do, good dining. Atlantis is ocean front apts, walk out the door to a decent entry, though not a beach. They have a full service dive shop. There are beaches & snorkeling within an easy drive. Decent shore & boat diving.
Curacao, like Bonaire, is South of the hurricane zone so the reef & coral have missed being pounded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom