Save the reefs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TR186

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was out of Diving for several years due to Career and life obligations I have been back into it for a couple years and have been doing trips to Cozumel and the keys. I have noticed a lot of divers with long rods to push themselves off of reefs and holding them selves in the sand. The rods are about 1/8 th in diameter. It drives me a little crazy and seems that they should concentrate that energy to practice buoyancy skills and pay attention to the reef. I do understand that a small rod will do less damage than a complete body but it is just new to me.

Is this the norm? I will say that I have been on boats with less experience divers due to the fact I had to start again. I will admit it just like riding a bike. After a 7 to 10 dives I had good skills back.

I've heard something like that. Of course better buoyancy is the answer. I would assume since I've heard currents are wicked at times in Cozumel this may be the reason for it. You'd think if the current is so strong you may crash into the reef another spot may be in order.

Buddy Dive, on Bonaire, has them listed as 'illegal' for diving-----if I remember reading their board @ the dive shop correctly.....

I would rather they use the reef rods which cause no harm than laying on the reef which does.

N

Save the Reefs you say ?
I will say we divers /snorklers are the worst thing for a reef /dive site that gets visited on an often/regular basis like along the Mesoamerican reef all along Mexico. How about the reefs in the Keys, think divers/snorklers impact them ?
Never seen this Rod you are talking about but it sounds like it might be a good thing to me for one that is out of with there buoyancy.. BUT , someone that would need the Rod would probably do just as much damage with it , like a sword, than a clumsy out of control diver. Maybe not.

I was out of Diving for several years due to Career and life obligations I have been back into it for a couple years and have been doing trips to Cozumel and the keys. I have noticed a lot of divers with long rods to push themselves off of reefs and holding them selves in the sand. The rods are about 1/8 th in diameter. It drives me a little crazy and seems that they should concentrate that energy to practice buoyancy skills and pay attention to the reef. I do understand that a small rod will do less damage than a complete body but it is just new to me.

Is this the norm? I will say that I have been on boats with less experience divers due to the fact I had to start again. I will admit it just like riding a bike. After a 7 to 10 dives I had good skills back.

Is this what you're talking about???...click 2 video links...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/8152086169/in/set-72157631917831223/

Another very short one--& I must say, neither one of us wanted to be 'too close' to that seasnake..lol, it was the 1st dive on the 1st day in the Philippines & the 1st of MANY we saw that week....We started (almost)petting them a day or so later......:)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/8152287352/in/set-72157631917831223

I love my stick. Buoyancy has nothing to do with why I use one. I use it to stay in one place when taking a picture or filming. Also if used correctly you wont damage anything. There is usually always a spot with a gap or small hole you can jam it in. If not I move on to the next opportunity.

Great when you are in a strong current to stick in the sand as an anchor and also pushing away critters that get a bit too friendly :).

These rods or sticks are pretty common in parts of the pacific. They're especially useful in muck diving, but I do understand your concern. Some divers use it almost like an underwater crutch.

My wife carries her "pinger," 1/8" x 14 inches, which she uses to point, to bank on her tank to get my attention, occasionally to spar with a lobster, but rarely to "push off" or "hold position." She is attentive to her buoyancy and trip, and knows a rock from coral, and can tell dead coral from living. The rods, like divers, are neither good not bad. They can be used for good or bad, properly or improperly, however, I am sure there are divers out there who use a finger to hold position or push off who would never use a rod. I have trouble seeing a difference, although I have never carried a rod on a dive because I am carrying too many other things I need to use. (camera, compass, spg, dive flag, light, etc)
DivemasterDennis

The people who read and post here,
from what we see above,
use them as they were intended.

The largest portion of
owners use them as
Reef Skewers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom