• I plan to try it one day

Votes: 21 10.1%
  • Never, I’m too frightened

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Never, it’s not safe

Votes: 12 5.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shipwreckscanada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Last weekend I overheard a heated discussion about solo diving. Both made very good points for both sides of the argument. I’m interested to know if you dive solo or not, and why you feel the way you do about it.

I personally will dive solo to recover a dropped object or place something like a dive flag attached to the bottom. Put it must not be deeper than 20 feet or so. I simply don’t feel safe diving alone. But that’s just me.

I have been diving solo since I first started diving. I had started diving with my cousin but he did not stick with it for long. There were not many divers around in 1970 and none that wanted to babysit a 13 year old. I either had to dive solo or quit and for me quitting was not an option.

I've been diving solo.since about dive 75. I'm right around 600 now and would say that around 150 of those have been solo. I like diving with buddies but also like the solitude of diving alone. I will do any dive solo that I would do with a buddy and some I would not. On zero vis black water dives where I'm doing things by feel, I don't want a buddy. New and inexperienced divers should not dive solo. Some very experienced divers should not dive solo. For those with the gear, experience, training, and mindset there is nothing wrong with it. Every diver should though take the SDI solo course. It will make you a better buddy in the process.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I've done 1 solo dive (dive number 573)shallow with lots of other divers around. I doubt I will do another out of respect for my hubby's concerns for my safety so none of the options fit me.

Last edited:
I've got somewhere between 250-300 solo dives by now ... mostly photography dives above 100 fsw. I have done a few staged deco dives solo as well. Last year I built an entire rock reef at roughly 60 fsw diving solo, using a scooter, sling, and 400# lift bag ... racked up 27 solo dives just on that project.

I did not take a solo class, but by the time I did my first solo dive I'd logged about 2,000 dives and had taken several tech classes ... going through a solo class at that point wouldn't have taught me anything I didn't already know in more detail than the class would cover.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I enjoy solo diving. I enjoy buddy diving. I've done both since 1976.

My first solo dive was probably dive #10. I felt perfectly capable of diving solo, and still do.

Not all feel that way, and that is fine.

Best wishes.

I consider diving solo to be safer than diving with a buddy, especially one I don't know. There are a lot of issues: huge increase in task loading with a buddy, double the equipment failure points, possible buddy panic or doing something stupid, all of which increase my danger. Also there is the issue of enjoyment. I greatly prefer to enjoy the dive rather than babysit underwater. I spend way to much money for the privilege of diving to throw it away having to devote a ton of awareness to where my buddy is (or wandered off to), how much air he/she has left, etc. etc. etc. Sorry if that sounds selfish - but it is what it is.

The only time I buddy dive is on local club dives. Then I've started picking the least experienced diver and patiently watching over them, giving them the best example I can, offering advice if I can, and encouragement with some skill practice thrown in. There's not much to see here, the water is cold, the vis poor, and I didn't spend a lot so I'm not missing much and I can give a little back.

I don't quite fit your poll. I am SDI Solo-certified and I often solo on shore dives. I don't solo on boat dives where navigation precision is apt to be more of an issue and popping up a couple of hundred feet from where I thought I was more of a concern. Perhaps in the future that will change.

I enjoy diving with a good friend, but I don't like my diving options limited by whether someone close wants to dive with me, and I'm not 'spontaneously gregarious' so going to a dive site assuming I will hook up with somebody is not my style.

So, I happily solo, but in a more limited set of circumstances than I buddy dive, so I can't check an option that says 'anywhere.'

Richard.

As an instructor and dive guide, most dives I do are done solo as I am not a part of the buddy team. Oh, there's people around, but I'm prepared to not count on them. While I'm ready to assist, I will be able to finish my dive without assistance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom