• I plan to try it one day

Votes: 21 10.1%
  • Never, I’m too frightened

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Never, it’s not safe

Votes: 12 5.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I held off until about dive 200 though there were some inadvertent solo experiences going back to a very low dive count.

Given the availability of a decent buddy that's always my preference. If timing, logistics or a desire for solitude are the drivers then conditions of the site and my self are the deciding factors. I have driven to the beach a good many times, said it's not right today and gone home dry.

Pete

Although this is one of many such threads on ScubaBoard, I'll repeat what I have posted before. My first dives back in the early 60s were solo because we only had one kit to share. About 95% of my total dives since then (in the thousands) have been solo in part because few people other than professionals dive here (and they are usually busy making $$$) and mostly because as a videographer I prefer not to be distracted thinking about a buddy.

I've dived solo day and night and to depths of 200 fsw. I dive with redundant gear if I'm diving anything but shallow. I enjoy diving with a good buddy and sharing the dive afterward, but my favorite buddies are rarely available except when we travel together. And that is one situation where I usually prefer to be buddied up... when I travel to new destinations I'm not familiar with.

This is the Basic forum so I want to make clear that solo diving is not a basic skill. It is for experienced and/or trained divers that are competent in self reliance and know how they will react to the unexpected. If you want to look more into the mind of the solo diver, just do a search on SB or check out the Solo Diver sub forum

Could you add a "not yet, I enjoy diving with my buddy" option?

I have dived solo since really the beginning of my diving in 1968 and increasingly over the years. I prefer solo and when I say solo, I mean that it is me, and nobody else, I am alone with the sea and all that is in it.

N

I did a few solo dives in Bonaire prior to my SDI training, however I believe the knowledge and skills gleaned from the course were very useful, if not essential. Moreover the importance of having redundant air and equipment (mask, knife, etc.) can't be overstated. The only buddy I dive with is a trained solo diver, so she is an asset, NOT a liability. We were motivated to take the training not only to be more proficient and self reliant divers, but by the possibility of doubling our payload of our lobster hunts. Face it, photographers and hunters are easily distracted and make for horrendous dive buddies. Solo diving is not for everyone, but I thoroughly enjoy the complete sense of focus I experience every time I am out there alone.

Decades ago I got jobs cleaning boats and urchin diving. Lots of alone time underwater often in marginal conditions. Lost that solo anxiety thing. Then I worked police shifts for decades and rarely had good buddy opportunities that worked. Solo works but I am very conservative and go to places I know well and under primo conditions. I like not being responsible for others or being distracted by worrying over their air supply etc....but I do love buddy diving when my sons are my buddy. I also like showing a newbie around...occasionally.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Couldn't refute that a strong, conservative, aware, buddy team is best combination though !

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom