The Red Sea to the Pacific Northwest - Get Training or Go Diving Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grammaticus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've been diving around the world for over 20 years; however, the majority of my diving experiences have been in warm water although I've dove in a lake a few times in Washington State. I am going on vacation in Washington State to see family in July and would like to do some diving.

I know the Pacific Northwest is cold because I grew up there.

I wanted to take a rescue diving course, either with PADI or SDI, while I am there because I believe the training is much more rigorous (with some instructors) than what I can get in Egypt, where I am currently working. On the other hand, I am thinking it would be wiser to get dry suit certified and do a few dives in the Puget Sound instead.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with the USA but from what I have read the PNW sounds like the UK except with better vis and diving.

I think that your best bet is local diving and drysuit first.

Getting used to the drysuit in my opinion is a longer learning curve so it would benefit you to do the local training and diving first.
It also gives you a newer perspective on diving with the extra exposure equipment which would be useful when you go for rescue ie different water conditions, cold water stress.

In your position I'd probably want to send a private message to a member of this forum called NWGratefulDiver.

I'd recommend a drysuit class and some diving, then depending on your schedule if you can get into a Rescue class that's a good idea too. But Rescue class doesn't really involve much actual diving, and you're probably going to want to do it in a drysuit anyway.

Shoot me a PM if you want more details on diving here ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm with Bob. Although I believe Rescue is an excellent class and that everyone should take it at some point, I don't think it is necessarily true that the class is better in the PNW. On the other hand, we do have very interesting and enjoyable diving here. I'd go with the dry suit training and local diving, especially if you take a day or two to go out on our charter boats and dive some of the rock reefs we have.

If you need a buddy or advice on shops/instructors/charters, give a holler! (Although if you hook up with Bob, you can't do better.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom