How much buoyancy does salt water add

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trexmdr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I plan on test my new gear setup in a freshwater pool. How much more weight will I need beyond neutral buoyancy when I go into the ocean.
thanks
RT

The technical answer is the average weight of seawater is 64.1 Lbs/Ft³ and pure fresh water is 62.297 (rounded) Lbs/Ft³ Fresh Water @32° F. That’s about 2.89% more displacement.

That doesn’t mean you need 3% more lead than the weight of your belt in salt water. Assuming you are neutral in fresh water and your total geared-up dry weight is 200 Lbs., then you displace 3.21 Ft³ (200/62.297). It would take 5¾ Lbs more lead to make you neutral is sea water or a total dry weight of 205.761 Lbs (3.21 x 64.1)... give or take :wink:

Last edited:
Add about 3% of your total weight including kit. Some use 2.5%.

or - what Akimbo said.

Posts above are leaving out what I feel is a very important consideration. I use 12# in both fresh and salt. The reason - I dive steel tanks, with as minimal neoprene as possible enhanced by polyolefin under suits (0 buoyancy) in fresh water. I dive aluminum tanks with no neoprene (only shorts and a nylon t-shirt in salt water). Unless you are diving the exact same type & size of tank and the exact same insulation you need to do an aproximate weight check at the beginning and a good weight check at the end of your first dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom