Bifocals or magnifiers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bagger56

New
Reaction score
Does anyone make add-on magnifiers/bifocals that will work on prescription lens? I wear glasses and need bifocals. So I have a prescriptions lens in my dive mask. Now what I need is bifocals. I have tried the standard peel and stick bifocals or magnifiers but they only work on a mask with a standard flat lens in it (not prescription lens).

Tried mostly everything (except contacts - I can't tolerate them - sensitive eyes). There just any good solution. I'd spring for a bifocal prescription mask but I can't try on the mask before ordering. I can't see spending that kind of money and hoping that the mask will fit and be acceptable. I have a big nose and the bridge hits on a lot of masks. Also many masks don't seal well.

My solution (which many will argue won't work - even though it does for me) was to build a stiff wire cage out of coated wire and use Marine Goop to attach it to my mask. I then use the same type wire to attach the lens portion of an old pair of glasses (stems removed and the attachment points ground down) to the wire cage. That way I can cheaply replace the lens with old glasses as my prescription changes.

I've had to goop a magnifier lens to the left lens so I can read my computer. Before too long I'm going to get a pair of glasses made with my exact prescription for distance and only the left lens as a bifocal with my reading prescription. Sounds and looks weird but is the best solution I've come up with.

If anyone is interested I could take and post a picture.

Keaton,

Once you qualify the fit of a mask with your group cages you can send out to have your script bonded in there.

I agree that it is very smart to qualify the fit of the mask before sending it to the optician.

Pete

Tried mostly everything (except contacts - I can't tolerate them - sensitive eyes). There just any good solution. I'd spring for a bifocal prescription mask but I can't try on the mask before ordering. I can't see spending that kind of money and hoping that the mask will fit and be acceptable. I have a big nose and the bridge hits on a lot of masks. Also many masks don't seal well.

My solution (which many will argue won't work - even though it does for me) was to build a stiff wire cage out of coated wire and use Marine Goop to attach it to my mask. I then use the same type wire to attach the lens portion of an old pair of glasses (stems removed and the attachment points ground down) to the wire cage. That way I can cheaply replace the lens with old glasses as my prescription changes.

I've had to goop a magnifier lens to the left lens so I can read my computer. Before too long I'm going to get a pair of glasses made with my exact prescription for distance and only the left lens as a bifocal with my reading prescription. Sounds and looks weird but is the best solution I've come up with.

If anyone is interested I could take and post a picture.

That DIY solution sounds great but must look odd.:eyebrow:

I also thought I could never use contacts but I pushed past the discomfort initially. It took a few weeks of trying but finally I was comfortable. The advantage of being able to see on the boat AND underwater is terrific. I would still recommend looking into contacts. I swear by them now.

Try one day disposable contacts. There are many options out there and they will be the most comfortable. You can buy small supplies for your trips and you don't have to deal with cleaning solutions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom