Masks that have bottom windows for near-sighted divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tricia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dear all,

Thanks for the comments on my thread asking about the Mares ESA mask - overall, they were NOT complimentary, so I am looking for another mask. I want a mask where you can insert lenses for near-sightedness, but I would also like one of the masks that has the "bottom windows" so that it's easier to see your gear. Any success stories on this one?

Thanks!
Tricia :10:

Tricia,
Check out the Sea Vision USA web site.
They make a mask named the "Gauge Reader" just for the group whose arms are too short to read their gauges.

Actually, I like the Mares X-Vision. You can order one from Scubatoys with prescription inserts. I too, am nearsighted, and the design of the mask (lens shape, low volume) allows me to see just about everything on my front, and I can read/see everything perfectly in focus.

Tricia:
Dear all,
I want a mask where you can insert lenses for near-sightedness, but I would also like one of the masks that has the "bottom windows" so that it's easier to see your gear. Any success stories on this one?

Thanks!

I don't like big masks, so I use the DiveOptiks inserts in my regular mask. I've had two people tell me they have trouble with the bottom window masks making them dizzy. You might want to try one before buying if possible.

MD

Even though I am very used to handling my gear without seeing it in zero vis working dives, in sport dives I find I like the way my Cressi, Big Eyes mask lets me see my gear.

Most of the new style very low volume masks give you plenty of viewing angle, the question is can you find a location for a lense that will help with close up vision and not mess up your more distant vision?

bottom windows, not a great idea. Low volume mask as suggested is a way better idea. I use the x-vision, and it's a great mask. Big eyes is also really, nice just didn't fit my face. You can purchase prescription lenses for both as far as I know.

pipedope, nearsighted means you can see things near. The lenses are to help with seeing distance. It's pretty much like wearing glasses.

I get it mixed up sometimes.

I am getting old and can't always see what I am remembering.
Heck, the computer monitor is right at the distance between seeing better without the glasses (close) or better with them.

Cut me a little slack, afterall I am the SB DOPE. :eyebrow:

Tricia:
Dear all,

Thanks for the comments on my thread asking about the Mares ESA mask - overall, they were NOT complimentary, so I am looking for another mask. I want a mask where you can insert lenses for near-sightedness, but I would also like one of the masks that has the "bottom windows" so that it's easier to see your gear. Any success stories on this one?

Thanks!

Definitely check out SeaVision, I have a gauge reader mask (nearsighted with need for close lenses) it made a HUGE difference, 100' of vis is actually 100'!

Thanks to all of your for your comments! I'll probably try the X-vision or the Big Eyes, as I am in Europe and those are available easily here.

Pipedope - sorry for the confusion: I am near-sighted, so I do need the lenses for distance vision, but I am now over 40 (and both my parents wear bifocals) and I am starting to have a little trouble seeing the dive computer and the screen on my digital camera (the analog pressure guage is no problem). Per myeye doc, I don't need bifocals yet, but I can "see" what's going to happen in the next couple of years! Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Tricia

p.s. the reason I need a new mask is because I set my old one on the bench - for just a minute or two - and yep, somebody clunked it with their tank, didn't tell me and then it came apart on me at 17 meters! A lesson for all newbies (and silly oldies like me).... :crafty:

I'm farsighted (which I know is different than nearsighted). I wear contacts and use the mares x-vision. I really enjoy the low volume. I have my SPG clipped across my chest to the right side of my BC. It huges very close to my body, but I don't have to look straight down to see it at a glance with the x-vision. A slight tilt of my hear, and I can see down the front of my entire body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom