Dacor Black Tiger fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am new to diving after a 33 year absence,,,,,well I at least honest! I purchased a pair of Dacor Black Tigar fins on the advise of a local scuba shop staffer,,,,,,went to the pool today with them for a try and was not real impressed. They seem extra long, very bouyant and stiff,,,,,I understand they are the newer tech. in fins,,,,but now am wondering if a more traditional fin style would have been a better choice. Any comments and suggestions on a fin to look at as a replacement or even sugg. on the use of this style would be great....thanks.

texdiveguy:
I am new to diving after a 33 year absence,,,,,well I at least honest! I purchased a pair of Dacor Black Tigar fins on the advise of a local scuba shop staffer,,,,,,went to the pool today with them for a try and was not real impressed. They seem extra long, very bouyant and stiff,,,,,I understand they are the newer tech. in fins,,,,but now am wondering if a more traditional fin style would have been a better choice. Any comments and suggestions on a fin to look at as a replacement or even sugg. on the use of this style would be great....thanks.

Dacor Tigers, Volos, et. al. have been discussed in many threads in this forum. Why not do a search & see what people are saying?

Have fun,

I would hold judgement until I have tried them in current. I tried a pair of fins in the pool...thought they were great....got in current...dang near died. A pool does not tell all....but it is a good place to start.
rich

texdiveguy:

I find your comment about "stiff" really strange. These are hinging fins - nowhere near as "stiff" as traditional fins. I have been loking at some photos, catalogs & reviews.
I haven't used this particular model, I use Panthers, same family, same patent.
As commented above Mares Volos & Dacors are well commented on this board but the general idea is that you get a more efficient finning at slow to medium speeds but if you really need speed in an emrgency situation, it's just not there because the fin bends to 90degrees and then there is nothing more to be gained by finning harder.
Also on length, these are an average length fin nowadays.
There are some much longer ones available for speed/spear-fishing.
33 years ago fins tended to be smaller and shorter. I still have my Spirotechniques from 1970 and they are much smaller and less efficient.
I think as you get your leg muscles back into shape you'll find the Dacors OK.
Many people find that leg cramps are less frequent with hinging fins.

If you want to make the drive over to Dallas, I've got some sitting by the pool, and you can compare the hinge fin, to the split fin to the paddle fin. Check yourself on effort, time, etc... then make the decision for yourself!

THANKS everyone for the insit on the fins,,,,,really helps and will just give time for me and the fins to work together more. Larry thanks for the invite to your shop.....have visited only by the great web site,,,,but I will stop over soon! Again thanks guys............ AK

If you feel as though the Dacor's are too stiff then recomending Jets would be out. You may want to examine some split fins (Oceanic V12's, Apolo Bio Fins or Black Scubapro Twin Jets) Those are all really good fins. Very easy to dive with. I have a knee that acts up from time to time so when it does I switch from my Jets to my V12's. They are very different but they both work great even in the crazy currents and such we get here in Nor Cal.

It is my understanding that the Black Tigers ARE more stiffer than the Yellow Tigers and that came from Dacor themselves. There is suppose to be some kind of difference in the material.

I just wish my dive shop carried them so I could try a pair. So tired of spending the money on an unknown and turns out it sucks.
rich

RICHinNC:
It is my understanding that the Black Tigers ARE more stiffer than the Yellow Tigers and that came from Dacor themselves.

Yes you're quite right. There is a complete review at:
http://www.diveoz.com.au/gear_reviews/display_review.asp?rid=10

Even so, they are still pivoting fins and should not be considered "stiff" by normal standards.

miketsp:
Yes you're quite right. There is a complete review at:
http://www.diveoz.com.au/gear_reviews/display_review.asp?rid=10

Even so, they are still pivoting fins and should not be considered "stiff" by normal standards.

Thanks for digging it up, Mike! :thumb:

FYI, I've used the Dacor (yellow) Tigers for about 4 years now in a variety of dive conditions. They certainly work well for me.

DSDO,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom