Can you patch a tear in mask skirt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sb_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I just found a half inch tear in the clear skirt of my mask, I was wondering if any of you knew if it was possible to patch it or seal it somehow. The tear is like at the tip of the nose part in case location makes a difference. The only reason I ask is that I would like to keep the mask as a back up.

I already went out and bought a new mask with a black skirt(Genesis LVX) because the clear skirt was a little distracting.. it was a lot cooler when i first got certified than it is now that I've been diving for a few years, but I wouldn't mind having a back up.

Thanks a lot

Thomas

Yeah, you should be able to patch it, but I'm not sure with what. Aquaseal might work, or silicone caulk/cement. If it were me, I'd probably also strengthen the outside of the patch with a piece of adhesive nylon (Bondex) or something like that.

I probably wouldn't rely on it afterward, but in a pinch it would be a lot better than nothing.

I tried repairing a small hole in my mask with Aquasure, with superglue, and even with the stuff used to fix bicycle tire punctures. The thing is, diving masks are silicone and nothing else will stick to the stuff. So I tried some silicone kit that was left over from a building job, and sure enough, it sticks :).
But I would't trust it too often. So now I keep that mask as a backup.

You can get silicone sealant for fishtanks, I have used that on a leaky mask I didn't wanna part with. The right stuff to use smells like vinegar--It's meant for underwater use, it stays pliable, and it's non-toxic. Be careful what you use near your eyes! :05:

Yeah I tried to do something simular with my favourite mask when it started to come apart, but it just didn't work.

Mask's are cheap enough that you should be able to get a second mask for backup.

Don't trust the old one as a backup eithir. If you count on it to get you out of a jam, Murphy will pop up and bite you on the a** for your troubles.

Just my 2psi worth.
Paul.

Thanks for all the advice guys. As a poor college student I'm pretty cheap, so I'll try some of the aquarium sealant. I have a new mask now but I just want to keep the broken one just in case if I can. Hey if it saves me a day of diving when I'm out doing research w/ a grad student it'll be worth the effort.

Thomas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom