Patching torn neck seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rfwoodvt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After my New Year's Day dive I tossed my dry suit on top of my gear bin in the back of the truck for the ride home and when I got back there was a very small triangular tear in my neck seal. The location is about halfway between the last measurement ring and the zippering. So it's not in any way involved in contact with the neck. It is latex by the way.

It's a zip seal so it would be just as easy to pull it out and put in a new one but the fact is that was a brand new one to begin with. Kind of pisses me off.

So I was wondering since it's so small, less than a half an inch on each of the two legs, could I patch it like I would an inner tube?

Thoughts?

After my New Year's Day dive I tossed my dry suit on top of my gear bin in the back of the truck for the ride home and when I got back there was a very small triangular tear in my neck seal. The location is about halfway between the last measurement ring and the zippering. So it's not in any way involved in contact with the neck. It is latex by the way.

It's a zip seal so it would be just as easy to pull it out and put in a new one but the fact is that was a brand new one to begin with. Kind of pisses me off.

So I was wondering since it's so small, less than a half an inch on each of the two legs, could I patch it like I would an inner tube?

Thoughts?
That’s what I would do. Standard inner tube patch kit on the inside, either some aqua seal or additional patch kit on outside to cover the cut.

TearAid. It is an essential part of my dry-suit save a dive kit...

That’s what I would do. Standard inner tube patch kit on the inside, either some aqua seal or additional patch kit on outside to cover the cut.

So I gave your suggestion a shot. only had square patches so I used a gasket cutter to make them round...apparently a round patch doesn't have any corners to start lifting. I also did an inside/outside patch. This should work well.

But, and here's a big But, I will triple check to make sure I have a spare zipseal in the bag at all times, just in case!

Can the DUI suits be retrofitted with the SiFlex Quick Neck? New neck seals are ~$20-30 instead of $130+ for the zip seals.

Can the DUI suits be retrofitted with the SiFlex Quick Neck? New neck seals are ~$20-30 instead of $130+ for the zip seals.
The DUI one flexes significantly better, unfort. With some practice and latex seals, one can reglue a stock latex seal onto a DUI ring. Gamble did so for a period before DUI asked him to discontinue the process.

With some practice and latex seals, one can reglue a stock latex seal onto a DUI ring.
I have done this and it works well. I found having a solid form to be key. I used a generic stubby Christmas tin from Walmart. Clean up the old ring and lightly sand the new seal. I used contact cement to glue them together.

Back
Top Bottom