New Mask Fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Matthews

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be picking up my new mask in a weeek to ten days and have a question. I now have a mustach/beard. How do I get/maintain a watr tight seal on the upper lip. The stasch is new so was not a pror problem.
I can trim/thin it to a close shave without losing it.

Mike--

It may not be a problem at all, depending on how thick your mustache is.

I have a mustache, though it's not real thick. I was buying a new mask a couple months ago, and tried the old "stick it to your face without the strap and inhale" test in the store. It stuck fine, but then seemed to very slowly un-stick over about 20-30 seconds. No other mask was any better, so I figured it might be the mustache.

But there's no problem at all in the water. Wetting everything may have sealed it better.

Plus, I'm always subconsciously clearing my mask underwater anyway... equalizing, etc.

--Marek

Mike Matthews:
I will be picking up my new mask in a weeek to ten days and have a question. I now have a mustach/beard. How do I get/maintain a watr tight seal on the upper lip. The stasch is new so was not a pror problem.
I can trim/thin it to a close shave without losing it.

Hi Mike,

when you go try it at the store, take a breath and put the mask on pushing against your face(without using the strap), it should create a good seal if the fit is right. Do not try to inhale through your nose or you will get a false seal.

Your mustache, try putting a bit of vaseline on the skirt of the mask while it is dry, that will help keep a better seal.

Good luck,

Maria

Mike, close-trimmed is good but not so close as to constitue stubble--that will just hold the skirt off your skin.

I like a mask with a very high skirt seal under the nose. It keeps a tighter seal but you have to learn not to inhale through the nose ever, as there will usually be a bit of water pooled there. I think that's why most modern masks have rather low nose area seals--to keep the water away from the nostrils.

If you experience leaking, you can try sealing your 'stache (as mentioned above--vaseline) or trim it down. Shave your 'stache down to leave a clear thin horizontal strip below your nose, and keep it shaved. Look at (have a friend look at) where your mask skirt seals make contact below the nose to see whether or not that approach might work for you.

Let us know how it goes, okay?

Bryan

Remember to try the mask fit with a regulator or snorkel in your mouth as well as without.

You want a mask that seals well both ways.

I find that I have to trim a tiny bit just under my nose to get a good seal using my Cressi Big Eyes, and it is the best fitting mask I have ever used in 26 years of diving.

I have three masks (and one moustache). The expensive mask couldn't leak faster if the skirt was made of mesh. The inexpensive one leaks a little at the start of a dive, then after a little clearing, seals up itself. The no-name one has never leaked (but is low enough volume that it sometimes fogs a little). Morale - keep trying til you find one that fits - not all do.

I have a moustache and full beard, and do not trim for diving. Over the years, I have tried many different masks. The only one I have tried that seals reliably is the Tusa Liberator+.

I keep a thin to medium moustache and don't usually have any problems with my oceanic shadow mask. I was told once to use silicone grease as opposed to vaseline because of damage the petroleum may cause, but I don't know how significant or accurate this is as I've never had to bother.
Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom