Jet Fin Fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CHUD

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for some advice here from the Jet fin gurus...

I just picked up a pair of XL Scubapro Jet fins on eBay. I'm size 11, wearing Xcel hard-sole booties. I'm not sure about the fit.

My foot is snug in the pocket -- toes are all the way in, there's no slop but it's not uncomfortably tight, and the fin pocket goes all the way up the rise of my foot to touch the ankle. But I've still got about 3 1/2 inches of my heel hanging out the back, so basically just the front part of my foot is in the fin. My V12s, on the other hand, extend all the way to the back of the heel.

I tried the Jetfins out in the pool yesterday and they just felt ... wrong. It felt like all the force was being focused on just the front half of my foot, and after just a few laps my feet started to cramp up just from relatively gentle finning. I felt like I was finning with just my toes instead of my whole foot.

So: How far back on the foot should the jetfins fit? Should I go up a size or is this just how they are and I'll get used to it?

Thanks,
Chuck

From what I've seen, size 10 are about the max for the Jet XL. Above that you either go to Turtles or try the new Jet XXL, which I have heard is huge.

Your foot should be in the pocket further than it sounds like it is.

MD

CHUD:

I just picked up a pair of XL Scubapro Jet fins on eBay. I'm size 11, wearing Xcel hard-sole booties. I'm not sure about the fit.

My foot is snug in the pocket -- toes are all the way in, there's no slop but it's not uncomfortably tight, and the fin pocket goes all the way up the rise of my foot to touch the ankle. But I've still got about 3 1/2 inches of my heel hanging out the back, so basically just the front part of my foot is in the fin. My V12s, on the other hand, extend all the way to the back of the heel.

I tried the Jetfins out in the pool yesterday and they just felt ... wrong. It felt like all the force was being focused on just the front half of my foot, and after just a few laps my feet started to cramp up just from relatively gentle finning. I felt like I was finning with just my toes instead of my whole foot.

So: How far back on the foot should the jetfins fit? Should I go up a size or is this just how they are and I'll get used to it?

Thanks,
Chuck

I had to go to a soft sole to fit xl jets. I'm a 10.5 and was wearing SP hardsoles. Most newer fins have a sole that extends the length of your foot, Jets just have that pocket. I felt the same way.
I wonder why they dont make them like the Twin Jet pockets. It seems to me that I lose some amount of power and comfort due to that hingeyness.

I'm a size 12, wear avanti hard sole boots in XL Jets.
At first the jets did feel tight, but a couple quick sprays of food grade silicon in the jet foot pockets and all was well.

CHUD:

Thanks,
Chuck
i am size 10 and have the xl and yes they uncomfortibly tight and your foot is half way out the pocket and they just feel wrong,thats what i was thinking at the beginning but i have to say that after a while you,ll adjust to the wrongness and it just feels natural.As with everything in live (whats new)you,ll have to use them often and you,ll see that you,ll finally like them.They,re easy to use and very reliable.peace

look at the video and pictures in this link, you can clearly see the white sole of the boot and the fin.
it may feels wrong, cause the design is different from the ones you have.
hope this helps.

http://www.gue.com/classroom/propulsion/index.shtml

I wear size 11 shoes and have jet fins. I tried several pairs of booties and mostly hard sole booties wouldn't fit in them all the way. For me the henderson hyperstretch booties (hard sole) fit well, snug but not too tight. A quick spray of silicone helps, but is not necessary. Some other softer booties had too much give for me, and some other hardsole booties wouldn't fit in the fins, though they were comfortable booties. I like the hard soles with such a heavy fin.

So there is a good chance you still need to find the perfect match for your foot, fin, and booty.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. It sounds like they fit like they're supposed to and I just have to get used to them. So... I just ordered some spring straps from spring-straps.com and I'll be getting used to them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom