DIR wanna-be's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melfox26

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
First of all, I'm not GUE trained......yet, just want to lay that out. I'm currently doing my divemaster training, and have signed up for DIR-F in early December after I finish my DM cert.

Just wanted to see where you GUE trained guys/gals stood on people claiming to be DIR when they haven't been trained, have a brand new BP which they haven't dove on yet and needs help with the fit (hint to who this is), as I've run across a "wanna-be" in a different forum.

Maybe this belongs in the "whine and cheeze" forum instead, or just the "basic scuba discussions" , as it certainly applies. I just don't like people claiming to be something they're not, I don't put "divemaster" under my name because I haven't achieved that yet.

In my opinion, you have to earn your stripes before you can wear them.

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver
PADI Divemaster Candidate

melfox26:
First of all, I'm not GUE trained......yet, just want to lay that out. I'm currently doing my divemaster training, and have signed up for DIR-F in early December after I finish my DM cert.

Just wanted to see where you GUE trained guys/gals stood on people claiming to be DIR when they haven't been trained, have a brand new BP which they haven't dove on yet and needs help with the fit (hint to who this is), as I've run across a "wanna-be" in a different forum.

Maybe this belongs in the "whine and cheeze" forum instead, or just the "basic scuba discussions" , as it certainly applies. I just don't like people claiming to be something they're not, I don't put "divemaster" under my name because I haven't achieved that yet.

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver

Sheesh dude, chill out. I was just cruising through the CP and saw a DIR checkbox. I checked it since I'm intereested in DIR diving. I didn't realize that I had a Tattoo put on. A polite PM would have sufficed. I changed it back (after much searching to find where it was).

EDIT: BTW, it is clear that I don't consider myself DIR or I would have geared up, hired a photographer, superimposed some cave images and changed my profile photo.

Mark

I've never seen anyone matching that description. I've seen a lot of people preface things by saying "I'm not DIR yet" or "I'm working on becoming DIR" or something to that effect.

melfox26:

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver

Are you REALLY a divemaster just cuz you paid for and completed the class, or is that something that, you know, requires some "stripe earning" before you flash the card and sew the patch on your parka?

Curious....

K

I do think that earning the stripes is something real DIR divers have done. I dive the gear, have good skills, taken DIR/F but am I DIR....Not yet! I work on it all the time but I wouldnt call myself that.
David Rhea wrote in an article for Quest that in order to be DIR you had to a.) Go thru an apprecticeship w/ an organization like the WKPP or b.) recieve training from GUE. Even then its what you do w/ the training that matters.

goodness, why are you so concerned about what other ppl call themselves? so what.

melfox26:

Yeah, Mel
I really didn't get the gripe when I saw it in the other thread, and I still don't. Now that the "accused" has posted reasonably to the accusation, hopefully you can find satisfaction...

There are people who:
-Are GUE trained and use Halcyon and are NOT DIR
-Are GUE trained and use XY and are DIR
-Use Halcyon,etc and ARE DIR
-use XY and ARE DIR
and all other combinations of training/certs/equipment/skills/attitidue/divehistory/knowledge/experience etc.
that are DIR or are not DIR....

Which raises the question: What is DIR and who claims to ste the standards.
But that would fill another thread with 10 pages :)

Michael, on the way to DIR

db8us:
There are people who:
-Are GUE trained and use Halcyon and are NOT DIR
-Are GUE trained and use XY and are DIR
-Use Halcyon,etc and ARE DIR
-use XY and ARE DIR
and all other combinations of training/certs/equipment/skills/attitidue/divehistory/knowledge/experience etc.
that are DIR or are not DIR....

Which raises the question: What is DIR and who claims to ste the standards.
But that would fill another thread with 10 pages :)

Michael, on the way to DIR
:)

And then ther are those of us in "limbo" - I can think of a few, and I plead the Fifth as to whether or not I'm also in that group -

We've taken DIR-F, reconfigured our gear, try to work skills into each dive, focus on the team and the dive planning, yet we'll dive with decidedly 'mainstream' (non-DIR) divers, and if you asked us if we are DIR we'd hasten to tell you "not really" "not yet" "I'm working on it" or my favorite, "still under the bus" (a reference to our GUE instructor's favorite catch phrase)

So we're not (yet) DIR........ but we're not not DIR, either. We're also not really "wannabe DIR" since we've taken the DIR-F course so we're not talking through our hats on DIR topics.

Hm, sounds like we chould have a separate designation.... I mean there's "instructor candidates" "divemaster candidates" etc, to suggest that a person's on that road but not there yet - what do you think?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom