Dive Report: The Hydro Atlantic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot

Contributor
Reaction score
Hydro Atlantic

South Florida Diving Headquarters, Pompano Beach, FL

Scott and I have been trying to dive this wreck for several months now. Due to cancellations for weather, conditions, and a number of other things, this wreck has been able elude our grasp, until this morning. Today looked like another bust for us, as two of our original dive team members cancelled due to injury and schedule conflict. Coming to our rescue, Julia, from H2O Scuba in Sunny Isle, jumped at the chance to join the dive. Julia is a veteran cave and wreck diver and would prove to be a great addition to these two wreckers today. I have had the opportunity to dive with Julia on several occasions, and she has always been a great team member.

The three of us arrived at South Florida Diving Headquarters between 8 and 8:15am. Unloading all the gear went quick, as we shuttled the equipment boat side via a hand truck. After loading all the gear on the Safari Diver, the captain noticed the stern sitting low in the water. Upon inspection, he realized the three compartments aft of the sealed engine bulkhead were completely flooded. The bilge had obviously failed, and an electric and hand pump were used to clear the water. The culprit was a gland nut on the rudder shaft had come lose and water was entering the boat. A wrench turn later and a fix to the bilge pump, and we were on our way! Scott and I were starting to wonder if we were ever meant to dive this wreck. We would be pleasantly surprised!

Conditions were just short of perfect today. There was a light breeze out of the east, creating just a light chop out of the Hillsboro Inlet. Since Scott and I were diving dry, we decided to start the process of donning our suits early. Scott utilizes a White’s trilam with thin fleece, while I use a Zeagle Expedition trilam with Duofold water wicking long underwear. Julia choose to wear her in between seasons 5mm Mares wetsuit. We all wore thin hoods to retain body temp on the deco. Julia equipment configuration included double steel 98’s with a 40cf O2 for deco. She was diving trimix with the same O2 content as Scott and I. Scott uses double AL90’s, and I use double steel 98’s. Scott and I both carried 40cf ean50 and O2 for deco.

The crew did a fantastic job of putting a shot line on the aft mast of the Hydro. This would provide our initial fix for our free drift descent onto the wreck. The team entered the water and after a gear check, immediately descended at a steep angle toward the wreck. The first 50’ was pretty murky due to the runoff from Lake Okeechobee. Upon reaching 80’ or so, the hulking wreck became visible. There was just a light north current to contend with this morning.

The Hydro Atlantic, originally commissioned the Dredger Delaware, is 330’ long by 75’ wide. It sand naturally while in tow to be salvaged. She sits upright in 172 fsw, and has some deterioration and lots of growth. The top of the pilothouse is at 115’, the deck at 145’, and the keel at 175’. Most of the ship’s structure is intact, including a starboard crane and several winches. The plan was to examine the to two cargo holds, the engine room, and the pilothouse. Our profile allowed for 10 minutes below decks, and another 20 minutes on the deck and in the pilothouse.

The descent ended at the starboard crane at 150’. We took a minute to give each other the OK and rest from swim down. We wanted to make sure no one was experiencing a CO2 buildup. We then moved forward and descended into the forward cargo hold. Upon entering the hold, we startled a nurse shark, which decided not to stick around for an interview. I hit max depth inside this room at 172’. We exited the aft side of this cavernous hold and entered the pilothouse. I was in the lead, with Julia, and then Scott in trail. The swim though led us to our next greeter, a 3’ barracuda hiding in a hallway. It didn’t pay much attention to our lights, or us and just seemed to stare at us as if we were insignificant in it’s daily trials and tribulations. We exited the pilothouse, circled back around the outside, and moved amidships. Underneath this section lies the engine room. Scott decided to take a break, as I dropped through a hole in the deck that used to be a vent for the engine room. I signaled to Julia that I would be in the room for 2 minutes. She stayed at the hole and kept an eye on Scott and I. She could see my light as I maneuvered for and aft through the room. This was the pinnacle of the dive for me. Being in complete darkness with Julia’s light outside the hole creating a halo effect, brought the feeling of euphoria and why I do this.

Julia and I then entered the aft cargo hold for a quick swim through, as we were running out of bottom time. This put us right at the bottom of an aft mast were our deco up line was lashed off. When all three of us were on the line, Julia unlashed the chain, and we started drifting north. This is were my momentary lapse of judgment caused a nice bruise to my ego and leg. I was facing south on the line, while we were drifting north. The top of the heavy cargo booms is higher than the top of the aft mast. I drifted into the starboard boom and it collided with my leg. Had I been facing the right direction, well you get the picture!

Our first stop would be at 70’. Here, Scott and I would switch from our back gas over to our ean50 to start our decompression. Julia would complete all of her deco stops using her back gas until reaching 20’. We did stops at 70, 60, 50, 40, 30, and 20. My total run time was exactly 60 minutes. Scott’s was 62 minutes, while Julia’s was 63 minutes. I was the first back on the boat. The seas had picked up from the 1 to 2 footers to 2 to 3 footers while we were diving. I decided to hand up my two deco bottles to the dive master, before removing my fins. I got slammed into the ladder during this process – bruise number two! Then Scott, followed by Julia, boarded in full gear. What a great and memorable dive!

The Hydro Atlantic is a beautiful dive for those with proper training, gear, and mindset. While the current, depth, and deco obligations can be challenging, it is a must for those qualified. This is a tremendous asset to the SE FL dive community, and I look forward to spending many more hours exploring her secrets. South Florida Diving Headquarters has a courteous and accommodating staff. The DM and Captain offered help only when needed and respected our equipment and capabilities. The Safari Diver had it’s issues today, but was an appropriately equipped vessel for the three divers she treated so well. I would dive with this team and crew again. BTW, our extended deco took place at Pirrana Pat's Flannigan's. You can guess!

I love the Hydro too.

Very nice mempilot. Ah, maybe someday I'll get the bug for getting my tech cert and visit the Hydro. Anyway, glad you had an enjoyable dive.

Great report...!!!!!
The Hydro is one of my favorite wrecks over there.
I dive with SFDH all the time when i go East.
There new "small boat" looks great.
Flannigans for tuna steak after is the main reason i drive over to that side of the state.

If you ever need another diver for any of those wrecks please let me know.
thanks

Mike.

The RBJ/CNC is also very cool and "erie".

lowrance, sucre and RBJ all a stone's throw away

Very easy read! :) Takes quite a bit to keep me reading a post that long, excellent report!

Very nice report. I happy you all had a good time, less the bruises. Me, I don't dive that deep and I am not likely to ever dive that deep. However, the technical aspects of deeper dives do interest me. Thanks for the information.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom