fins for divemaster class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Registered
Reaction score
I’m starting a divemaster class and I been doing some surface swimming to practice for the long swims, and my jet fins are not cutting it on long surface swims does anyone have a suggestion on a good fin for long surface swims?

Thanks,
Barton

Since you'll get a lot of folks who would recommend jets for long surface swims . . . what is the problem you are having during your surface swims? Foot cramps, arch trouble, tiring, etc..

Aloha, Tim

leg cramps, I guss I might be pushing it to much! I was thing about splits I have a buddy who loves his.

Amazingly I quit getting foot and leg cramps when I switched to jets from a softer paddle fin. Though I found my legs were just plain sore after swimming with them on for a couple of weeks while my muscles got used to the added resistance.

My regular dive buddy uses Twin Jets (splits) and loves them - I use a frog kick, he uses a slow flutter kick - it works for him, mine works for me. Different people, but we're both quite happy. btw we have near identical air consumption also (nearly always ending within 100psi of each other)

on surface swims I kick on my back, he snorkels - still frog and flutter. Most of our surface swims are under 20 minutes long.

Don't know that this helps any, but it might be good if you could try a buddies fins, I'm planning on borrowing some splits just so I can see why my buddy likes them so much. I'm planning on liking my jets and continuing to use them, but I'd like to see the difference.

Aloha, Tim

Try putting in more pool time instead of changing equipment - build your distance slowly and your leg/foot problems will probably be taken care of by conditioning. I started swimming regularly last fall and in the beginning I thought 500 meters was pretty far - now I regularly do between 1600 and 2000 meters 5 times a week. 1000 meters with fins and snorkle plus the rest with no equipment. I dive in Jets and usually do my pool swims in some old dacor full foot blade fins that I found in the attic. Every two weeks or so, I'll drag booties and Jets to the pool just to keep in practice with them. I started with splits for the pool but I can't frog kick very well with them and want to practice that as well so ... anyway, I think that pool time will solve your surface swim problems if you like diving your Jets.

Jackie

We do DM and Instructor classes all the time, and the candidates have to do a timed 900 yard swim. We normally get them to do it a few times by the time they get their time down to a passing score.... And without fail, from jets, to scubapro splits, to volo's... don't care which ones they try, the consistant fastest scores, and guys getting out saying, "wow, that wasn't that bad - my legs don't hurt..." Apollo Bio Pro. Not the XT, just the soft bios. Best speed time and time again.

Totally agree with Larry. I love my Jetfins but Apollo Bio-fin Pro are definitely the best fins for long surface swimming.

scubatoys:
the consistant fastest scores, and guys getting out saying, "wow, that wasn't that bad - my legs don't hurt..." Apollo Bio Pro. Not the XT, just the soft bios. Best speed time and time again.

Larry -

In every case I have seen, full foot fins get you more power than an equivalent open heel. Would you say the same about split fins? How would you compare the Apollo Uni to the Apollo Bio Pro. More power, right?

teksimple:
Larry -

In every case I have seen, full foot fins get you more power than an equivalent open heel. Would you say the same about split fins? How would you compare the Apollo Uni to the Apollo Bio Pro. More power, right?

Never really did that test, as here in our lakes, we kinda like to wear booties... freezing toes in the winter, muck in the summer... so I've never done the comparison there. I have used them before, and really, I didn't notice them to be any different than my strap bios... but that was not any kind of test... but seemed very comparable.

Back
Top Bottom