fins for divemaster class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would recommend Stratos Technisub. I like them very much. in both long swim and sometimes I had to swim aganist the current I find it gives me more thrust than the split fines (twinjet)

Hi teksimple,

I too was interested in knowing about the performance of a full foot version of the apollo. I'm not sure how accurate this is but I found:
Open foot fins results:
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/fins/foot_rockets:_open-heel_fins/6/
Compared to full foot fins:
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/fins/light_speed/7/
The apollo uni got a max speed of 2.9 MPH and 43s around the course while the apollo Pro got 2.9 MPH and 49s

I would presume that the Apollo bio XT should get an even higher speed and a be faster around the course but only if your legs can take it.

Cheers

SangP

SangP:
I would presume that the Apollo bio XT should get an even higher speed and a be faster around the course but only if your legs can take it.

SangP -

Full foot fins, as you may know, always give you more power for the equivalent blade than open heel fins. I believe it has to do with transfer of energy (more efficient) from the foot to the blade, er, blades as it may be in this case. So the difference between the full foot (Uni) and the Open Heel (XT) may account for that time difference.

I spend some significant time in the gym and otherwise on resistance and cardio training, so I am not so worried about efficiency, as much as I am with raw speed. I push around a 75 pound rebreather plus bailout bottle and need as much total power as I can get in a strong current. This will be critical in the Galapagos this summer when I am adding a big camera housing and lights. SO, will I get better speed out of my Rondine free diving fins than the Uni? I have yet to hear from anyone who has tested (and compared) both.

Hi teksimple,

I think the differences between open foots and full foots are more to do with hydrodynamics rather than power as they both develop the same power but the Open foot fins do not have the clean lines of a full foot fins due to the straps and the other things like buckles.

I don't know bout the performance of your Rondine free diving fins and the Uni. However, all things being equal a full foot fins would perform better then a similar open foot fin.

The better performance of the XT over the uni has more to do with the material used in the XT as compared to the lower durometer for the uni and the pro.

In your case where the sheer amount of gear you are carrying along would really mess up your hydrodynamic profile and because most split fins don't have the same acceleration as paddle fins, I would think that a Mares quattro might be a good choice for you.

It is great at acceleration and will continue to work well with flutter kicks, JMHO (just my honest opinion).

SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom