Analog Gauges or Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve Miller

Reaction score
I am buying my first equipment and want some thoughts on buying analog gauges now and add a wrist computer later. I like the thought of having back up gauges should the computer fail during a dive trip. Also what does everyone think of the gekko.

Thanks

Most of the gauge consoles are made to take the standard size computers so you can always add later in the console. You can also wear these on a wrist mount or house mount also....

I love having a dive computer, which replaced my depth gauge, but when asked by a friend if I wanted to sell my depth gauge (because his had broken), I didn't because I can use it as a spare if the computer dies or batteries die..... So that's an aurgument for having the gauges.

But overall it just depends on what you want and what you need as it's all different for all of us based on who we are and what type of diving we do. Budget oddly enough often factors into this also. :)

I would avoid a console arrangement altogether. Problem you face in the analog department is that today there are NO quality professional grade analog depth guages or mechanical timers being made. There are none. If there are please state who makes them and where they can be bought. I don't know of any. There are some analog stuff made but it is cheap plastic low end stuff, not the metal/brass/steel oil filled or sealed diaphram units made in the past. Could be wrong. N

I think if you can pony up the money now, get the computer first and save money for something else instead of having two sets of guages. It all sounds good in theory to have a backup set of guages and such but.... That's one of the reasons your buddy is a must to have. Now if your going solo diving or you frequently find yourself a mile away from your buddy yes have the backup, even then, I think I would go double computer rather one of each. Why?? well if you rely on the computer, forget trying to follow any table to the exact. Computers as we know give you more bottom time. Also, like nemrod said, the analog isn't as precise. I think overall you'll have more fun if you let the computer do the calculations instead of you while your underwater. I have done both which many on the board will say too. But I bet big bucks that most will say go with a computer if you can now!!
Sorry I don't know anything about the gekko to give my opinion.

I agree that a computer is nice to have and that it makes life easier. I disagree however that computers give you more bottom time. Computers can calculate on the fly (faster) where you are on the dive (depth, gas and time), but are based on the same data as most recreational tables. Computers also have 'safety factors' that, just like the tables lower BT in return for some added marging of safety.

I am not sure if computers are more accurate than analogue guages. They both have margins of error. Analogue meters depend on physical interaction between the different parts. Electronic devices depend on taking an anlalogue sensor data and digitizing this (AD conversion) and this too has a margin of error...... Look at the manuals for each and see.... on the other hand..... is an error of lets say 3% really an issue when diving at 100ft?.... diving is not an exact science.....based on physiological effects.... each person is different. Good quality guages are relatively expensive but will last a lifetime.

Bottom line is redundancy. I personally find analogue guages more sturdy, computers make life easier. But always know what you are doing and maintain knowledge of tables resident!!!! If the computer breaks (electonics and water are inherently non compattible) you only have your brain available......

tkrock:
I think if you can pony up the money now, get the computer first and save money for something else instead of having two sets of guages. It all sounds good in theory to have a backup set of guages and such but.... That's one of the reasons your buddy is a must to have. Now if your going solo diving or you frequently find yourself a mile away from your buddy yes have the backup, even then, I think I would go double computer rather one of each. Why?? well if you rely on the computer, forget trying to follow any table to the exact. Computers as we know give you more bottom time. Also, like nemrod said, the analog isn't as precise. I think overall you'll have more fun if you let the computer do the calculations instead of you while your underwater. I have done both which many on the board will say too. But I bet big bucks that most will say go with a computer if you can now!!
Sorry I don't know anything about the gekko to give my opinion.

There is also cost savings to get the computer now. For example if you want a console with analog gauges, it's going to be about 100 bucks or so. Now later on to go buy a computer, will cost you about 175... but you can get a console with a computer for just over 200... So really, it's only about 120 more to go with a computer than an analog gauge - so why would you not!

And as far as the whole redundency thing, don't sweat it that much. I have never had a computer fail on me while diving... and that's with 1000's of dives on computers... and if one does fail?? Tell your buddy, you guys make a slow ascent, hang out for a good long safety stop, hit the surface, and spend the rest of the day either doing 30 foot dives, or perfect the technique of drinking a pina colada from a coconut shell without poking your eye with the little umbrella. Then borrow or rent another compter for the next day.

Now I carry an extra computer, (but keep in mind... I own a dive shop... unfair advantage) but have never had to use it for me. I have loaned it out to others, but more times due to lost luggage than computer failure.

But if I'm flying half way around the world to dive, I'm going to have a backup computer just in case, but I wouldn't bother with a back up gauge. It would be way too much work to reverse out my pressure group from computer to tables, then check time on this dive, depth, etc.... So I'd say carry a redundant computer, or don't bother... besides, I can spend hours playing with those little umbrellas...

Meng_Tze:
I agree that a computer is nice to have and that it makes life easier. I disagree however that computers give you more bottom time.

From downloading peoples profiles on our rentals, and helping customers with their stuff after they come back from a trip, my experience will disagree with your statement a bit. Over all, computer users end up with about half again more bottom time based on the fact that it is taking into account shallower parts of the dive when you are not loading nitrogen as fast. I have a bunch of 100' max depth for an hour and 10 mintues in my log book... don't think I could have done that on tables... would have been over in about 15 minutes, so in my opinion, yes, you will get a lot more time with a computer, unless you are diving an exact square profile, and unless you are welding on a pipe at 60 feet, then coming straight up after 40 minutes.... you probably will never dive a square profile in your life.

In your scenario, you are right, but I was comparing apples to apples. Meaning and you indicated as such): if you compare the same profile (lets take a square) between computers and tables, I would maintain that they would be about the same (barring safety factors).

Computers do give 'on the fly' info relating to time, depth and where you are on the dive and as such allow for off gassing at shallower depths.

There are models/ tables that do allow for off gassing on the fly (as computers aco**** for) as well and would allow far more BT (as an overall) than the 20 mins standard. But I think that would be a different discussion.

scubatoys:
From downloading peoples profiles on our rentals, and helping customers with their stuff after they come back from a trip, my experience will disagree with your statement a bit. Over all, computer users end up with about half again more bottom time based on the fact that it is taking into account shallower parts of the dive when you are not loading nitrogen as fast. I have a bunch of 100' max depth for an hour and 10 mintues in my log book... don't think I could have done that on tables... would have been over in about 15 minutes, so in my opinion, yes, you will get a lot more time with a computer, unless you are diving an exact square profile, and unless you are welding on a pipe at 60 feet, then coming straight up after 40 minutes.... you probably will never dive a square profile in your life.

Not sure what happend when posting. the sentence should be:

There are models/ tables that do allow for off gassing on the fly (as computers acount for) as well and would allow far more BT (as an overall) than the 20 mins standard. But I think that would be a different discussion.

I'm just wondering if all the folks who are saying you don't really need the analog guages are thinking the poster would be using an air integrated computer? With AI, I can see the argument for just having a computer...maybe, though I'd still want analog air guage.

I use a non-AI computer happily, and Larry's suggested price range of $175-200 would imply he was thinking the same thing. So, in that case, you need an analog air guage anyway. My analog guage console has an air guage and a depth guage. I wear my computer on my wrist. I like having the backup depth guage in case the computer fails blah blah, but in the end, what does it really cost me? I need the air pressure guage anyway, and it's not much bigger with the depth guage add in.

It seems like I would have to go out of my way to really avoid an analog console altogether, and it does offer some measure of extra safety/peace of mind. I can see why folks wouldn't bother, though. Most quality computers seem pretty reliable.

Gregg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom