Different Max depths on both computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an Oceanic DataMax ProPlus1 as my main puter and an Oceanic Veo 180 as back up, mounted on my puter hose. While scrolling them this morning and setting the 02 to 32XEAN to make a comparison, I see on my main puter the max depth is 132ft, while max depth on backup reads 111 ft. I thought since they were both Oceanic they would have been set to same max depths, calibrated the same?

pilot fish:
I have an Oceanic DataMax ProPlus1 as my main puter and an Oceanic Veo 180 as back up, mounted on my puter hose. While scrolling them this morning and setting the 02 to 32XEAN to make a comparison, I see on my main puter the max depth is 132ft, while max depth on backup reads 111 ft. I thought since they were both Oceanic they would have been set to same max depths, calibrated the same?

Since the PO2 is settable in those units, you probably have one set for a PO2 of 1.6, and the other at 1.4 or so... Check those settings in the Set 2 area of the setup and see if that's not it.

scubatoys:
Since the PO2 is settable in those units, you probably have one set for a PO2 of 1.6, and the other at 1.4 or so... Check those settings in the Set 2 area of the setup and see if that's not it.

Yeah, that sounds like it might be it. What is the best setting, 1.4 or 1.6. I would guess 1.4? Thanks Larry

pilot fish:
Yeah, that sounds like it might be it. What is the best setting, 1.4 or 1.6. I would guess 1.4? Thanks Larry

Unless you're in to technical diving there is no reason to go over 1.4

1.6 is for contingency and should be avoided if you can.

R..

Diver0001:
Unless you're in to technical diving there is no reason to go over 1.4

1.6 is for contingency and should be avoided if you can.

R..

I'm no tech diver at all. Funny thing, when the both puters are set for air they show the same max depth. I've looked at both manuals and can't figure out how to set different ppo's. I think I'll just leave them alone. I looked at the tables and at EANX32 110ft is max, so the main puter showing a max depth of 132ft is wacky. So damn confused.

pilot fish:
I looked at the tables and at EANX32 110ft is max, so the main puter showing a max depth of 132ft is wacky. So damn confused.
It was explaineed above and you said that sounds like that "might be it." How come you're still confused? Your "main computer" is most likely the one with the PPO set to 1.6 - Not wacky, just doing as it was programmed to do. You should maybe ask the LDS where you bought the computers to show you how to set the PPO, since you are unable to figure it out on your own?

Better yet, really learn to plan dives based on the gasses, MOD, NDL limits without relying on a "wacky" computer to tell you when you've gone too deep or stayed too long? Oh... wait.... uh... sorry... never mind... :wink:

Snowbear:
It was explaineed above and you said that sounds like that "might be it." How come you're still confused? Your "main computer" is most likely the one with the PPO set to 1.6 - Not wacky, just doing as it was programmed to do. You should maybe ask the LDS where you bought the computers to show you how to set the PPO, since you are unable to figure it out on your own?

Better yet, really learn to plan dives based on the gasses, MOD, NDL limits without relying on a "wacky" computer to tell you when you've gone too deep or stayed too long? Oh... wait.... uh... sorry... never mind... :wink:

It made sense till I looked at the manual and it didn't have a section that tells me how to set PPO.I will ask the LDS to show me how do do that. They are closed today so I thought somone here might have a data max and know how it goes. Thanks.

pilot fish:
It made sense till I looked at the manual and it didn't have a section that tells me how to set PPO.I will ask the LDS to show me how do do that. They are closed today so I thought somone here might have a data max and know how it goes. Thanks.

Ok, here's the deal. 1.6 is considered the normal max for O2. I've got a friend that was in the Seals, and they pushed O2 rebreathers to 2.0 all the time... but 1.6 is a good Max... Padi says 1.4 max. Other agencies say 1.6 max, with 1.4 for strenous dives... the idea is you're breathing faster, so let's limit the O2 intake. Pick what works for you. 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 however conservative or liberal you want to be. I set mine to 1.6, but don't push it to that.

To set it, if you hold down both buttons for a few seconds, you'll see "Set 1". That is where you set things like mix, max depth... things you might change often. From the screen that says Set 1 if you push both buttons again for a few seconds, you'll see "Set 2". From there, one button will change what screen you are on... the other will change stuff on the screen. Hit the front button and it will scroll through settings like metric or imperial, time and date, etc. When you see PO2, it will say 1.4, 1.6 or whatever it is set for. By hitting the other button, you can switch that from 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6. When you have the setting you want, just hit the first button again. Once you leave the screen, that setting is saved.

Make sense??

pilot fish:

The manual is online...

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/pdf/12-2621-r01.pdf

Page 29

Paul in VT

scubatoys:
Ok, here's the deal. 1.6 is considered the normal max for O2. I've got a friend that was in the Seals, and they pushed O2 rebreathers to 2.0 all the time... but 1.6 is a good Max... Padi says 1.4 max. Other agencies say 1.6 max, with 1.4 for strenous dives... the idea is you're breathing faster, so let's limit the O2 intake. Pick what works for you. 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 however conservative or liberal you want to be. I set mine to 1.6, but don't push it to that.

To set it, if you hold down both buttons for a few seconds, you'll see "Set 1". That is where you set things like mix, max depth... things you might change often. From the screen that says Set 1 if you push both buttons again for a few seconds, you'll see "Set 2". From there, one button will change what screen you are on... the other will change stuff on the screen. Hit the front button and it will scroll through settings like metric or imperial, time and date, etc. When you see PO2, it will say 1.4, 1.6 or whatever it is set for. By hitting the other button, you can switch that from 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6. When you have the setting you want, just hit the first button again. Once you leave the screen, that setting is saved.

Make sense??

First let me say thank you very much for taking the time to help me with this.Tried that and no PPO screen appears for me to set it from 1.6 to another value. It goes from time, date, 12 hours, turn pressure 1500, end pressure 500 etc, but no ppo setting.

I'm going out for a walk. This has me annoyed that I can't change this setting/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom