Diving with the Mares Nemo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Driznik

Contributor
Reaction score
Just before my last dive trip (to Cozumel about two weeks ago. Do I ever miss being warm.), I picked up the Mares Nemo dive computer.

Through research I had narrowed my choices down to the Suunto Mosquito and the Nemo. I'm just a recreational diver - with very little interest in extreme technical diving, so both looked like they would do what I needed. However, I'm a bit of a gadget freak, so even though most of the reviews and posts I read suggested that most people were coming down on the side of the slightly less expensive Mosquito, I liked the aesthetic of the Nemo so I went that way.

The computer worked great. I wear glasses, but don't have prescription lenses in my mask. I could still see it clearly underwater, and in a dark overhead Cenote environment the backlight worked great. I wasn't wearing gloves, but I had no problems working the buttons. The four buttons are actually setup on the extreme top, bottom, left and right edges of the watch, so that dramatically reduces the 'oops I pressed the wrong button' factor. For my last trip to San Andres, Colombia I had rented a Dacor Darwin computer, and for my purposes I actually found the Nemo generally easier to use and even easier to see underwater than the Darwin.

I was breathing air and the deepest dive of the trip went to 123 feet for a very short period of time so I ran out of air long before I hit the computers NDL. As a result, I can't speak to the nitrox or free diving features, and I didn't do any formal test so I have no idea about the conservatism of the algorithm.

Once I got back to the surface, using the logbook function was very intuitive. On the flight to Mexico I had worked through the quickstart guide in the instruction book, but I probably didn't need to. Playing with the buttons for a few minutes let me figure out everything I needed.

I'm not a small person, but I found I was able to wear it as a watch all week with no problems.

The only complaint I've got is how easily the face scratches. Somehow on the third day of diving I picked up a scratch about 1" long on the face near the top of the screen, coming straight down toward the middle of the screen. It doesn't affect the readability at all, but I at least hoped to get through the first trip scratch free. I don't remember bumping anything under water, so my guess is I got it on the ladder getting back onto the boat.

Driznik:
Just before my last dive trip (to Cozumel about two weeks ago. Do I ever miss being warm.), I picked up the Mares Nemo dive computer.

Through research I had narrowed my choices down to the Suunto Mosquito and the Nemo. I'm just a recreational diver - with very little interest in extreme technical diving, so both looked like they would do what I needed. However, I'm a bit of a gadget freak, so even though most of the reviews and posts I read suggested that most people were coming down on the side of the slightly less expensive Mosquito, I liked the aesthetic of the Nemo so I went that way.

The computer worked great. I wear glasses, but don't have prescription lenses in my mask. I could still see it clearly underwater, and in a dark overhead Cenote environment the backlight worked great. I wasn't wearing gloves, but I had no problems working the buttons. The four buttons are actually setup on the extreme top, bottom, left and right edges of the watch, so that dramatically reduces the 'oops I pressed the wrong button' factor. For my last trip to San Andres, Colombia I had rented a Dacor Darwin computer, and for my purposes I actually found the Nemo generally easier to use and even easier to see underwater than the Darwin.

I was breathing air and the deepest dive of the trip went to 123 feet for a very short period of time so I ran out of air long before I hit the computers NDL. As a result, I can't speak to the nitrox or free diving features, and I didn't do any formal test so I have no idea about the conservatism of the algorithm.

Once I got back to the surface, using the logbook function was very intuitive. On the flight to Mexico I had worked through the quickstart guide in the instruction book, but I probably didn't need to. Playing with the buttons for a few minutes let me figure out everything I needed.

I'm not a small person, but I found I was able to wear it as a watch all week with no problems.

The only complaint I've got is how easily the face scratches. Somehow on the third day of diving I picked up a scratch about 1" long on the face near the top of the screen, coming straight down toward the middle of the screen. It doesn't affect the readability at all, but I at least hoped to get through the first trip scratch free. I don't remember bumping anything under water, so my guess is I got it on the ladder getting back onto the boat.

Hi Driznik,

Great to hear the positive feedback abt the Nemo. I purchased mine just last week and can't wait to dive with it.

Abt your scratch, was your Nemo's watchface sapphire coated? That's supposed to help. I'm also wondering if they sell watchguards for the Nemo, similar to the ones they have for the Suuntos?

i also have a nemo that i bought and can't wait try it out either i get that this weekend at lake murray

I have one as well, but have only used it in the pool so far. I hope to get some dives in soon to try it out.

TXTED: Let me know how you like Lake Murray. I've never gone up to OK, and I'm curious what the diving is like up there compared to PK or Travis.

Have fun.

I'm picking up a Nemo next weekend. There are no protectors available. Maybe if we all complain to Mares they'll come up with one.

Jay

HI all,

Re protecting the face of your new computer: FWIW some of the folks I dive with have made their own scratch protection from sheets of clear film used to protect the headlights of cars from gravel, bugs etc...The local auto supply store has this in 8x10 sheets, so one sheet will make several watch covers...although the material is not intended for underwater use, there have been no dramas with it coming unstuck or degrading quickly.

cheers.

boxcar:
HI all,

Re protecting the face of your new computer: FWIW some of the folks I dive with have made their own scratch protection from sheets of clear film used to protect the headlights of cars from gravel, bugs etc...The local auto supply store has this in 8x10 sheets, so one sheet will make several watch covers...although the material is not intended for underwater use, there have been no dramas with it coming unstuck or degrading quickly.

cheers.

I'm almost positive that Mares has a face guard for the Nemo. I just got the Titanium Nemo yesterday so I haven't used it, but I remember looking at all the accessories when I ordered and I'm 90% sure there was a face guard.

mb230s:
I'm almost positive that Mares has a face guard for the Nemo. I just got the Titanium Nemo yesterday so I haven't used it, but I remember looking at all the accessories when I ordered and I'm 90% sure there was a face guard.

Hi mb230s,

I've searched the Mares website and tried googling, but am still unable to find any face guard for the Nemo. Do you recall where you came across this?

Mares have just released the face guard for the Nemo, We got our shipment last week here in Australia, so I would expect them to be on the way to the States now.

I have 70 dives on my Nemo and it has not missed a beat.

Cheers
Chris

not perfect but well enough to cover the entire glass and even alow access to the buttons and sensors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom