underwater boat locator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iamsharky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am wanting to purchase an underwater boat locator, the item you can place on the anchor and find your way back to the anchor. Anyone know who to contact about the purchase of this item?

thanks,

Dunno who/where....
But why not use compass and environmental clues? What if boat locater breaks......?

I know a guy who had one. I guess it was a pain and he finally sold it.

Compass works great, much cheaper.

Desert Star Systems makes a locator/pinger model for diving. They have two models: the Sport & Scout

From their website: DiveTracker Sport and Scout are simple, yet very effective, underwater homing systems. Designed originally for sport divers, these devices have found a variety of applications in underwater commercial and military ventures, law enforcement and science. Typical tasks include marking of underwater objects, safeguarding and recovery of underwater instrumentation and vehicles, general diver navigation and emergency pingers for divers.

The chief attractions of these devices are ease of use, low cost and operational reliability due to their simplicity. Both systems consist of two components, a transmitter (pinger) and a receiver. Using the indicators on the receiver, a diver can easily return to any location or object marked with a transmitter. To aid in the return to a boat, the transmitter may be lowered from the boat or attached to the anchor line. To serve as a distress beacon, the transmitter can be carried by a diver, to be activated when an emergency occurs. A diver can carry transmitters, then use them to mark underwater object or locations for a later return. Any number of receivers can be used with one transmitter, allowing a group of divers to use the system.

You can buy direct from them or Leisure Pro carries the Scout. Due to low visibility in my local lakes I'm buying one of these to aid with navigation.

Its blackwater and I use a compass for general directional navigation, is there a way with my compass to find the anchor very easily?

jay-diver:

thanks for the info, I am thinking about going with the scout.

I'd be interested in hearing how that worked out. Sounds like it hasn't gotten such great reviews. I agree with getting better familiar with the compass.

dude, get whatever you want to get to make your diving safer and easier.

and at the same time continue to enhance your navigation skills ofcourse

iamsharky:
Its blackwater and I use a compass for general directional navigation, is there a way with my compass to find the anchor very easily?

If I'm reading your question correctly.... One guy is the "leader with the compass. The other guy takes one end of a 1.5 mm cord and stays 75' off to the leaders side... off in the murk. They keep pace. When some vertical obstruction gets snagged, it's the anchor line. Stay up off the bottom and keep the line taut. Takes some practice and teamwork coordination, but it does work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom