Ears ears ears...ugh ! Pro ear mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crimson Ghost

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a fair amount of difficulties equalizing and after this past weekend (AOW dives) I have had some water in my ear. I visited the Doc last night and was told my ear drum has some blood on it – he thinks it might have been perforated at one point and has since closed up and is still hearing. He gave me 5 days of zithromaz (sp? An antibiotic) and I need to go back to have it checked out again before I go diving next weekend (10 days yet). I felt some brief pain when diving – nothing I would describe as excessive, and I ascended and equalized and then descended without further issue, nothing that caused me to end a dive. Anywho – I had previously posted that its incredibly difficult for me to get water out of my ears, someone directed me to another thread where I got all the information I could ever want (thank you – I say that here since I can never find my old threads on this site).

For the reasons above and others I am interested in ordering the Pro ear mask from ScubaToys:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ProEar

I have a couple questions – is this a purge mask? I read a thread that said it was but I can not find verification on the web. Also, I have a very large mask and the smaller masks are difficult for me to obtain a seal. Buying a mask online is difficult to gauge the size – anyone know if this mask is slightly smaller or larger as far as masks go ?

I doubt it’s a purge mask – cuz if it is I doubt the tubes from the mask to the ears would clear well ? ? I dunno – but for $50 I am game to try it out. Thanks again everyone – this has been a very helpful site for my wife and myself.

Crimson Ghost:
I have a fair amount of difficulties equalizing and after this past weekend (AOW dives) I have had some water in my ear. I visited the Doc last night and was told my ear drum has some blood on it – he thinks it might have been perforated at one point and has since closed up and is still hearing. He gave me 5 days of zithromaz (sp? An antibiotic) and I need to go back to have it checked out again before I go diving next weekend (10 days yet). I felt some brief pain when diving – nothing I would describe as excessive, and I ascended and equalized and then descended without further issue, nothing that caused me to end a dive. Anywho – I had previously posted that its incredibly difficult for me to get water out of my ears, someone directed me to another thread where I got all the information I could ever want (thank you – I say that here since I can never find my old threads on this site).

For the reasons above and others I am interested in ordering the Pro ear mask from ScubaToys:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ProEar

I have a couple questions – is this a purge mask? I read a thread that said it was but I can not find verification on the web. Also, I have a very large mask and the smaller masks are difficult for me to obtain a seal. Buying a mask online is difficult to gauge the size – anyone know if this mask is slightly smaller or larger as far as masks go ?

I doubt it’s a purge mask – cuz if it is I doubt the tubes from the mask to the ears would clear well ? ? I dunno – but for $50 I am game to try it out. Thanks again everyone – this has been a very helpful site for my wife and myself.

My son had problems equalizing. Probably because of his allergies. He's a Rescue diver with several hundred dives so it's just not being new to diving that was the problem. He bought a Pro Ears mask and had absolutely no problems equaling and doing a free descent while diving in Cozumel.

A friend of ours had trouble with just one ear. She also bought a Pro Ears and it worked well for her. No the mask does not have a purge. You will need to make sure that the mask is adjusted properly and that you get all your hair out from under the ear cups so that they can seal properly. Order the black one as it will look better longer.

Thank you. I have a crue cut (#1 blade, so the only shorter hair would be to shave it)

I am placing the order this afternoon. Thanks again !

I have that mask and i bought it when it first came out, it was the best purchase i made. It has been a dive saver when my allergies are bad.

a friend of mine dives with a proear and says its the best thing he ever bought and for colder water it comes with a special hood to keep the ear pieces in place looks mad but really works
go for it you wont be sorry

Great replies ! I am feeling confident in this product - at first glance it seems like such a gimmick.

Great replies ! I am feeling confident in this product - at first glance it seems like such a gimmick.

Trust me.....it is no gimmick. I couldn't dive due to constant ear infections. I bought a proear and am now diving every weekend!!!! It keeps my ears dry, it's easier to equalize my ears, and I wouldn't part with it for anything......well, if the offer was good enough I would, but I'd immediately buy another one!

Better equalizing technique might be a better idea...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom