Most Memorable Dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frog Dude

Registered
Reaction score
Grand Cayman late 70’s the Black Hole.
I dropped to sand bottom at 90 FSW and saw a hole ringed with coral about 12 feet in diameter. I entered the hole and descended another 15 feet to where the hole breaks 90 degrees to horizontal with another 15 feet to open water. As I emerged from the hole and found myself on “The Wall”. Looking right I found a Black Coral tree branching out with a seemingly endless vertical backdrop of living structure. I swam out another 20 feet to get a better perspective and stopped. Before turning around I looked up, seaward, then right, left and down. At that instance I was nearly overwhelmed the vastness of the open ocean.
There was nothing to either side, below or in front of me but open water.
I wondered if this is what the astronauts felt on their first space walk
I turned around to check on my buddy thinking I had burned up most of our bottom time staring into the void. He was studying the coral about 3 feet off the wall and when I checked my watch less than 30 seconds had elapsed.
A 20 second epiphany that has lasted almost 30 years.

Frog Dude
Experience is a wonderful thing.
It allows you to recognize a mistake before you make it again.

yes, the Caymans have some 200 foot viz at times that is like diving in gin!

Mine was 20 whole minutes with a whale that seemed to like me.... the Corsair, Hawaii Kai February 2005.

The day myself, my dad, and my brother saw our first hammerhead in Nassau together.

Mine was also in Grand Cayman. First time I saw a turtle under water. An excellant diver saw the turtle in the distance, went after it & hurded it toward our group. The turtle came within 3 feet of us. I & this other dude went camera crazy. I've got some wonderful closeup shots of the turtle as well as all the snaps making his way toward us & up & over the reef as he left. It was soooooo cool!!!

Listening to the Humpback's sing while diving in Maui ~ My first wreck dive in the Caymans a Russian Frigate.
OH! How could I forget this.... Swam with a Manatee in FL on 7/29/06. SO SO COOL! Their skin is like sandpaper.
I thought it would be soft or smotth.

My very first O/W check out dive is memorable, but would rather forget that the D/M on that dive *tried* to make me a panicked diver on the surface!

These are in my Logbook so I can go back and say - WOW, that was something I had forgotten, glad I wrote it down!

They are adding up, but at the top of the list for now happened last weekend. Being surrounded by 30 to 40 sand tiger sharks at the wreck of the Caribsea off North Carolina. Breathtaking to say the least.

Mine occured on Monday diving Bolonnes in Cozumel where we encountered an Atlantis submarine. We finned up to the observation deck and rode the sub like a giant scooter. The tourists inside had their faces pressed against the window, waving like crazy and taking our pictures. I wonder how many of those tourists came away with the idea of learning to scuba dive? :D

That would be a hard one for me. Most "memorable'? I had recovered bodies and vehicles, and those are, and will always be, Memorable, not in a good sense though. In a good sense, I think The wall dive we did after the blue hole in Belize would be high on the list. I saw two of the largest lobsters in the world on that dive. They were bigger than small children!!! no exageration. They were HUGE! almost too big to be believable, had I not seen it for myself.it is hard to pick the very best one, as they have all seemed to be good dives IMHO.

Manta Ray night dive in Kona.

The rays were doing turns at our dive boat and it took about 20 minutes to get 8 divers into the water. We could not step off to boat without hitting one of them.

I was the last off and three rays stayed with me like I was their buddy. Then they followed me as I made my way the the "dive site" - very cool !!!

Back
Top Bottom