Anchored boat story 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
temporarily removed - found - and restored:

Detroit Diver and I took Uncle Pug (the boat) out for a couple of dives in Puget Sound. It was a beautiful summer day with very little wind and neap tides. On our first dive we anchored Uncle Pug (the boat) using a grapple hook that Shane had made. It is a heavy 18” section of 1½ “ steel shafting with four tines that extend back at 45 degree angles. It will not hold in sand or mud at all so is very useful when “fishing” for structure.

The grapple did not find the wreck we were looking for but instead hooked on a pile of boulders. This actually turned out quite well as the wreck lies due east and up current of the pile. We were able to find the wreck, do our dive, ascend free and drift back to Uncle Pug (the boat) just like we had planned. :D

The next dive was back at the reef mentioned in story #2. Again we grappled the bottom and proceeded to get ourselves geared up for the dive. Now this is a reef were we almost always anchor and leave the boat unattended… sometimes that results in a modest swim back if we travel too far in viz that at times is very poor.

Just before splashing I noted that a light afternoon breeze was starting but that it was blowing away from the island… good… I don’t like anchoring on a lee shore. As we made our way down the anchor line I made sure that the grapple was hooked securely so that no matter how much the wind picked up Uncle Pug (the boat) would be there when we surfaced.

We proceeded to have a great dive in marginal viz, even spotting a giant Pacific octopus. I tried to keep mental note of the general direction and distance back to the anchor line but soon that was impossible, as we had covered a large area. As we were drawing near the end of our dive I new that it would really be wonderful to find the grapple and unhook so that we wouldn’t have to make a bounce dive to release it…. but I had no idea where it was.

So I turned to my number one buddy and prayed… “Lord please help me find the grapple”… where upon we swam right into it.

I am sure that DD had no idea that I had no idea where the grapple was… he probably thinks that I just have this super innate navigation thing going.

Now the story gets interesting.

I decided that we needed to un-hook the grapple but little did I know how much the wind had picked up. It took both of us to get the grapple loose… that should have been a hint! As soon as the grapple was free off we went being towed at several knots across the bottom.

“Cool!” I though. Then I thought, “Uh Oh… maybe this isn’t so cool… we are moving pretty fast.” I tried to hook the bottom but of course the grapple just dug furrows along the bottom. Up ahead I saw a pile of rocks and thought… “Ah Hah! I’ll hook the pile of rocks!” I’m not sure what DD was thinking but it must have been, “I need to hold the grapple up off the bottom so it doesn’t hook that pile of rocks!” The pile was approaching fast and I only had seconds to hook it so I motioned for DD to let go, which he did.

Bye-Bye DD :D

Well it was too late to hook the rocks… next stop: Everett 3.5 miles East… so I just held onto the grapple and watched the bottom rush by…. eventually DD was able to catch up and we both road the rode as the movement through the water gradually brought us up to the surface. This time, unlike story 1, we were being trolled from a moving boat… much more fun. :D

Last edited:
You guys are way to much.By the way i have to apologize for laughing,but it was funny.I definitely have to make my way up there for a dive.You guys are definitely the fun and crazy crowd...lol.Glad to see you guys came through ok.

Uncle Pug;

I think maybe you should find someone who knows how to operate a boat who is also willing to sit in the boat as you do your dives.

Since we live in the same general area, and since I will soon have my card, I am willing to volunteer for the position. Of course, I will have to get some diving in too. :D

If you were down in Florida, we could tie plastic skirts on you both and see if we could raise some billfish in the process.:D

Cant wait for the results on this one!!!!

How did you make your ascent?

How did you regulate your ascent rate?

That actually sounds like a fun ride. Glad it had a happy ending.

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn once bubbled...
How did you regulate your ascent rate?
TwoBit
I just went back and checked my downloaded log of the dive.
The ascent from 48fsw to 20fsw took 1.5 minutes with a one minute stop at 20fsw rounded up to a one minute stop at 10fsw.

I not really sure how we did it.

OH GOD! I would LOVE to animate that! I was trying to think what underwater scenario would make a good cartoon, but it sounds like my imagination can't keep up with UP's real life!

Also, I am thrilled you mentioned the giant octopus! We only get dinky ones down here...and as far as your #1 buddy goes, I do a lot of praying underwater, too!

do that down here and we'll trail a gaffe on 'ya with a skirt and see what bites :)

We got a windlass and crane to land the "big one" when it comes up too :eek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom