how do you wear your mask????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maged_mmh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
ok, I've been reluctant to post this thread but...here it goes:
when I wear the mask over the hood there is always this tiny clearance where the edge of the hood meets your skin, that sip in water to the mask..So, I was curious about how do you manage it..
mask over the hood or hood over the mask strap?

I wear my mask on top of my hood, when I put it on i run a finger around the skirt of the mask to make sure that the hood isn't underneath it. If you make sure that the skirt of the mask is flat against your head, no water will get in no matter where the hood is.

Don't know why would would be reluctant... as you have mentioned there are two ways, and it somewhat depends on your preference and how your hood fits (oh, and the mask shape).

I like a hood to actually slightly overlap the mask. And I put the mask over the hood. But you have to make sure the mask lip is under the hood.

Over is nice, because have terrible eyes, and don't put my mask on till the last second. Also, depending on the hood, it tends to keep everything in place.

Under is nice with some masks/hoods, but if the strap needs to be adjusted... good luck. But there are people that like to pull their hood back when they leave the water...mine will choke me, so I don't.

I have three hoods, and one goes forward (built into the suit), have tried the mask under it, and it sucks.

I wear mine completely under the hood, strap and all. But as Puff has stated it really is a matter of how you like it or how it fits best. I put my mask on and leave it on until I am back to boat or shore so it is best under the hood.

Never be afraid to speak up.

Puffer Fish:
Don't know why would would be reluctant... as you have mentioned there are two ways, and it somewhat depends on your preference and how your hood fits (oh, and the mask shape).

rephrase: not reluctant .... shy:D

mask goes on first

hood goes over it

no problems!

H2Andy:
mask goes on first

hood goes over it

no problems!
That's a major pain for a FF. :D

OR

MOF:D

Gary D.

Someone say MOF? My sirens went off again.

Gary D.:

w.t.f.'s an FF?????

:eyebrow:

Gary D.:

OR

MOF:D

Gary D.

Was trying to keep that issue out of the topic, but........ you are correct.

My hooded suit, putting the mask on first is almost impossible to do, as it has to be pulled over the front of your face, but if you have a simple hood or hooded vest, then either works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom