Certification Problem-PADI hologram

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hillmorton Scubie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
To bring you up to speed
I did a OW referal certification in Cozumel and was told that I coluldn't send in my PADI PIC without a PADI Hologram stuck in it.
This was because in the Caribbean they are stopping the sharing of books by enclosing one hologram per study book.
When I got home I spoke to PADI and they confirmed that they would be able to issue me with my OW c card if I sent in a copy of the receipt for my OW book.
Fortunately I had kept it. The c card has now arrived.

So-If you are doing a referal in the Caribbean area,make sure you keep your receipt for the study material.-unless you have a PADI hologram.

I wonder what would have happened if I had trashed the receipt.

Hillmorton Scubie:
To bring you up to speed
I did a OW referal certification in Cozumel and was told that I coluldn't send in my PADI PIC without a PADI Hologram stuck in it.
This was because in the Caribbean they are stopping the sharing of books by enclosing one hologram per study book.
When I got home I spoke to PADI and they confirmed that they would be able to issue me with my OW c card if I sent in a copy of the receipt for my OW book.

So-If you are doing a referal in the Caribbean area,make sure you keep your receipt for the study material.-unless you have a PADI hologram.

You'd have had to raise your voice.
Rick :)

Hillmorton Scubie:
To bring you up to speed

Call the dive center and tell them to send you a hologram or a reciept? Its their responibility to know the process. Im sure they could have taken care of it. Personally I dont trust divers to send in their PICs. I do it for them.

One is required to buy a book to obtain a PADI C-card?

Any particular reason beyond the obvious (i.e. to make them spend money) that students can't share, etc.?

Another point worth noting - at least as of last summer (and according to the shop I dive with, still current) - couples can send in a single hologram so long as they send in their PICs in the same envelope.

We complete AOW in Belize in November. The forms asked for a sticker and the only one included was the standard PADI sticker. No mention of a hologram and I didn't know any better. I cut the standard sticker down to fit and stuck it on there. Received my new card in the mail last week but I was worried for a while after reading some posts on here.

Blackwood:
One is required to buy a book to obtain a PADI C-card?

Any particular reason beyond the obvious (i.e. to make them spend money) that students can't share, etc.?

indeed my wife and i had to purchase 2 books during our ow class.we were required to take chapter review exams and tear them out and give to the instructor.in hindsight i guess i could have asked if we could photo copy the exams but i get the feeling that this is another revenue generator for them and probably would not have allowed it.

you can buy One copy of the OWD CD-ROM and get 5 certified from it.

undefined:
Another point worth noting - at least as of last summer (and according to the shop I dive with, still current) - couples can send in a single hologram so long as they send in their PICs in the same envelope.

So if I live in Utah, and have 3 partners, and they're all men, and we all take the course with one book, can we do the same? or will they discriminate against us because we're not monogamous and straight?

Beboandles:
indeed my wife and i had to purchase 2 books during our ow class.we were required to take chapter review exams and tear them out and give to the instructor.in hindsight i guess i could have asked if we could photo copy the exams but i get the feeling that this is another revenue generator for them and probably would not have allowed it.

the knowledge reviews are collected as a "cover yer ***" liability reason by most instructors..certified divers are required (standards)to have ready access to their text book so as to use as a reference at anytime..

Back
Top Bottom