Diving with a Stick or Poker?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SBP Studios

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im thinking about starting to take down some sort of telescoping poke stick etc in case something I dont want close to me starts coming to close.

Any ideas what is a good thing to take?

Always keep your buddy between you and the things you don't want to get close to you. :rofl3:

LittleBug:
Always keep your buddy between you and the things you don't want to get close to you. :rofl3:

LOL....that reminds me of when my wife asked me "why are you bringing a knife, that wont help you if a huge shark attacks you.

I said "well when I see that shark, im going to use the knife to cut the closest person next to me, and them im taking off" :11:

She did not laugh.

:no

It might corrode, but a telescoping car antenna sounds like the sort of thing you're looking for. If you can find one made for boating, that ought to do it.

I think it’s a non-problem.

Underwater wildlife is much more benign than many people think. I cherish the occasional close approach. The only thing I’ve found that gets too close is other divers, and I don’t think they’d like me to poke them.

Agreed... if anything you need to worry about gets too close, having a collapsable poker to provoke it with probably isn't going to help.

MSilvia:
Agreed... if anything you need to worry about gets too close, having a collapsable poker to provoke it with probably isn't going to help.

Ive noticed that underwater Camera guys use their flashes etc to bumb sharks in the nose etc when they come to close. Seems to scare them off.

Any reason you couldn't use your hand for that? I just don't see deploying a collapsable shark tapper as being a particularly good plan.

I always take a baseball bat or a small sword just to play it safe. In Cozumel they told me no diving with sharp objects so I just dove with my bat on that case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom