Funny Underwater Hand Signals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim2386

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys,

So me and my dive buddy here were wondering if any of you have made up your own hand signals that aren't quite what you'd find in your open water book:wink:. You know....something like "screw you" or "you're nuts" or whatever. If you've come up with your own weird signals, I'd like to hear about them!

Thanks,
Jim

jim2386:
....something like "screw you"....

As far as I know, it's the same underwater as it is above water. :wink:

ScubaTexan:
As far as I know, it's the same underwater as it is above water. :wink:

Right right:wink: but I'm sure people have made up a few creative ones:)

My LDS had taught us to make an "L" with the right-hand thumb and index finger and hold it to your forehead to indicate "leader." One time out on a charter, I pointed at a diver more familiar with the wreck (not from our LDS) and gave her the "L" to the forehead to ask her to lead. The look in her eyes - a clear mix of confusion and insult - told me it wasn't a universal signal...

Left hand vertical with fingers spread.
Right hand forms a fist with the thumb perpendicular to fist.
Pound the base of the right hand on the open palm of the left hand.

Translation: You Turkey....

jim2386:
Hey guys,

So me and my dive buddy here were wondering if any of you have made up your own hand signals that aren't quite what you'd find in your open water book:wink:. You know....something like "screw you" or "you're nuts" or whatever. If you've come up with your own weird signals, I'd like to hear about them!

Thanks,
Jim

(probably an old one)On Roatan, we use this one for a nurse shark: put one hand under each boob & shake(them) a little, of course add the straight hand pointing forward between your eyes to complete the shark part of it....

Edit...my wife says you don't want to hear all of ours(2 adults & 3 children-all of them certified when they were 12) 'signals'...something that developed over many years of diving together....

I'll add one...We call a grouper UW a 'crazy grouper'...One time in about '92, my 2 sons & I were doing a shoredive off Sunset House(I think it was) on Grand Cayman...a smaller grouper was 'tagging' alone & all of a sudden I felt my tee shirt(under one arm) being pulled on...I turned quickly to see this grouper with the hanging part of my tee shirt in his mouth.....I immediately turned to my 2 sons & made the crazy sign(like someone being narced) & made a capital backward G(for grouper) to them....Ever since when I want to point out a grouper to one of them, I do the 'crazy grouper' sign......

Make an "OK" sign with one hand. Bring the index finger on the other hand up to the "O" and wiggle back and forth as you look at someone through the "O".

Translation: Come here, :mooner: hole! :D

Like the fist on the chest for "low on air", use the fist on the middle of your forehead for "I'm low on brains"...

Darin

I'm curious on this one too

Back
Top Bottom