What course to do next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h90

Contributor
Reaction score
I made the PADI OW
Later I made the PADI AOW
Later the Nitrox

I don't want to make the Rescue diver course.
I see no point in making the deep dive as I dove several times to almost 40 meters already
I found out that the diving itself is not that amazing for me, instead I find it amazing to learn no things and I am not that much interested in wracks.

What shall I do next? Interesting would be a course which explains Deco Stops or diving alone?

What are your thoughts?

W0nger: I can't reach the PADI webpage at the moment (I sit in Thailand). What does it teach?
If different deeps in one dive, what does it do what the computer does not know?

Your computer will do most of the planning, but this helps you gain better understanding of decompression theory. What if your computer dies? You may also be helping other divers plan with less experience than yourself. It is a good way to improve your abilities.

Why not rescue? The course if done with a good instructor is a lot of fun. Not just the PADI propaganda, it is a great course. It will make you a better diver. I would reconsider.

Good luck,

AZ

Take up underwater photography, plenty to learn and in the process you may discover just how amazing the underwater world is. If you don't then you have to ask yourself the question "Why Dive". Other suggestions might be to learn about aquatic life or even ship construction both of which will give you a different perspective on what you are looking at down there.

I don't want to make the Rescue diver course......

.....What shall I do next? Interesting would be a course which explains Deco Stops or diving alone?

What are your thoughts?

If these are your diving goals, I strongly urge you to reconsider the rescue. I would not take a tech or solo student who had not taken a rescue course first.

Arizona: on the theoretics of decompression, I think I am far above what PADI teaches. I read a lot of it already and at university I had to learn 3 years gases :-( which is extremely boring, but I guess I can calculate everything as real gases, if necessary).
But to be honest I am very bored from the PADI books which have 90 pages story and 10 pages real facts.

Thanks for your advice on the rescue, I really think I should do it, just I didn't like the book. But beside that I don't like the PADI style the content is still important I may overreact a bit on that....Will do it I think.....

grf88: I was never in making photos, even not on land. But your idea brings me to another! I hate these swim fast people. I loved to swim with people who made pics. I love to have time to watch the animals doing what they are doing. I would love to learn more about the aquatic life. But I am a German speaker and half english half german about the animal names was confusing for me, maybe I should get that straight and just learn it in German AND English. Thats a VERY GOOD idea, thanks!!!

wedivebc: I already reconsider that. I made a lot of dangerous sports and thinking back I understand your suggestion. Just I don't like PADI, do you know some more straight forward one? I mean not speaking arround some stories John did this, Jim that. The PADI book is for children. Like thats the case that you have to do and why. Any recommendations would be greaty appricated!

What dives did you do during your advanced course?

Any that you really enjoyed?

My choices would be Night, Nav and Rescue, as others have said here rescue is a great course.

The Rescue Course is much more about the quality of the instructor rather than the agency or the course materials. It is the best recreational course as far as skills development goes. After that find a mentor, one whose skills underwater are self evident and then practice your skills until buoyancy and trim are second nature even when task loaded. Also find likeminded divers to dive with so you can relax underwater and enjoy the wonders that nature has to offer. After that if you want to venture further then advanced nitrox/deco would be the way to go. You may also want to investigate DIR-F if it is available in your area.

If you don't like PADI, do rescue with another organization. I did mine with ACUC, and I believe they are expanding into Europe quite a bit. NAUI is also good.

Back
Top Bottom