What course to do next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't want to make the Rescue diver course.

Why? It's the one course guaranteed to make you a better, safer diver.

Go diving with people that just dive for the fun of it. Go slow. Buddy with a photographer (don't get in the way of their picture) and you will be able to enjoy and see exactly what is going on underwater. See that the dive in itself can teach you more than book learning will. After having fun dives you will see what areas interest YOU and take those courses. As for rescue it is IMO the best course to take to make YOURSELF a better diver. So if you are just looking for another class to take, rescue gets my vote.

Thank you for everyone! I think I'll simply do the rescue with PADI. The DC told it is just 2 days, so really a big thing to do. If I like it or not...2 days isn't much.....
Thank you very much for the links!!!! Very interesting and a lot things I didn't found myself. Unfortunately in my area is only PADI strong, so it will be PADI.....

Peak Performance Buoyancy
Underwater Navigation
Introduction to Nitrox (not PADI... use a TEC cert organization)

Peak Performance Buoyancy
Underwater Navigation
Introduction to Nitrox (not PADI... use a TEC cert organization)

Peak Performance Buoyancy: I do that frequently with one instructor, usually when he has an OW or AOW student.

Underwater Navigation: yes would be good... just need to find a good instructor for that.

Nitrox: I just made the Nitrox-Speciality from PADI....

Just I don't like PADI, do you know some more straight forward one? I mean not speaking arround some stories John did this, Jim that. The PADI book is for children. Like thats the case that you have to do and why. Any recommendations would be greaty appricated!

I dont like the padi books either.

Are there any instruction books about diving outside the agencies book? Books that include the most important stuff about "standard" diving? I dont want a book that ignore for example frog kicks because it is not mandatory at that level or ignore a subject because they want you to bye another course and book or even completely ignore a subject like gas planning. Something like the mountainering handbook.

Are the gue fundamentals book good in this way?

PADI books are terrible to learn because they stretch a 20 page content to 150 pages.
But I appreciate there are almost no mistakes.
As you tell, everything not necessary in the course will be either ignored or as complete deadly mentioned. No word that there are other tables than the PADI ones. is kind of top secret. It wouldn't hurt if a beginner knows that Deco-Tables exist.
I heard already from beginner who got panik because they found out that they are on 20 meter deep, but 18 are only allowed. Or droped the safety stop because they need to have 50 bar in the tank when they reach surface.

But no I don't know any better books, beside one german book about dive physics (but in German).

I dont like the padi books either.

Are there any instruction books about diving outside the agencies book? Books that include the most important stuff about "standard" diving? I dont want a book that ignore for example frog kicks because it is not mandatory at that level or ignore a subject because they want you to bye another course and book or even completely ignore a subject like gas planning. Something like the mountainering handbook.

Are the gue fundamentals book good in this way?

I made the PADI OW
Later I made the PADI AOW
Later the Nitrox

I see no point in making the deep dive as I dove several times to almost 40 meters already
I found out that the diving itself is not that amazing for me, instead I find it amazing to learn no things and I am not that much interested in wracks.

What shall I do next? Interesting would be a course which explains Deco Stops or diving alone?

What are your thoughts?

Out of curiosity why would you not want to take the rescue course from a highly qualified instructor?

The knowledge from this course could be invaluable in an emergency at any depth but particularly when you are diving to a depth of 40 meters.

I made the PADI OW
Later I made the PADI AOW
Later the Nitrox

I see no point in making the deep dive as I dove several times to almost 40 meters already
I found out that the diving itself is not that amazing for me, instead I find it amazing to learn no things and I am not that much interested in wracks.

What shall I do next? Interesting would be a course which explains Deco Stops or diving alone?

What are your thoughts?

Have you considered the NAUI Master Diver course? It is quite different from the PADI master diver course.

You should be able to cross over and take the course. This is the course is usually a prequisite for people crossing over from another agency into the NAUI dive master program.

The Fundamentals of Better Diving is a thought-provoking book. There is a lot of discussion of equipment in it, and rather less about technique, but there are some specified goals for divers at various levels. It's worth reading. It won't teach anybody to dive.

If you combine it with the 5thD-x videos, you get a lot of useful information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom