Thinking to solo dive ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
They pulled another solo diver out of my favorite mudhole yesterday ... still no word whether he survived or not. In the Incidents and Accidents thread, a friend of mine asked "Why do people dive alone?" It's a good question ... and one worth discussing on its own merits, rather than in the context of a diving accident.

I solo dive sometimes ... and I teach for an agency that's pretty well set against it. So I see both "sides" of the question. But ultimately I think it's a personal decision that more and more divers are coming to consider.

I recently wrote an article on the subject for my dive club's newsletter ... in part because of a conversation I had recently with a fellow diver, and in part because I see more and more solo divers who I don't think are properly prepared to be doing it.

I'm posting an edited (for context) version of the article below ... hoping to generate some thoughful discussion not only among those who solo dive, but also (primarily, perhaps) among those who are considering it. There's a lot of solo divers on ScubaBoard ... I'd encourage them to add some thought to the discussion.

For those who are dead set against it, feel free to add your thoughts ... but please keep it constructive. I want this to be a thoughtful discussion ... not an excuse to eat popcorn ...

Oh, Solo … Me? … Oh!
by Bob Bailey

I recently received an e-mail from a friend who wanted an instructor’s perspective on solo diving. He asked “How do I determine if I’m ready for solo diving”? It’s a good question, but difficult to answer … especially for an instructor representing a training agency that mandates diving with a buddy. But I gave it some thought, and I’d like to share some of those thoughts with you.

All of us were trained to dive with a buddy. Virtually all of the training agencies hold to the premise that it’s just safer, and therefore something we should do. And because diving is mostly a social activity, it’s usually more fun to dive with someone you can share your underwater experiences with. But more and more people are looking at going solo as an alternative approach to diving. For some it holds a particular attraction … either for specific activities like spear fishing or photography, or simply because it allows a degree of freedom that one cannot attain by diving with a buddy.

Whatever the reasons, the decision to dive solo should not be made lightly. As with my friend, you should ask yourself whether you’re ready. And you should carefully consider the risks, skills, training, and equipment you would need to go it alone.

Why Solo?

The logical first step would be to ask yourself why you want to dive solo. Perhaps it’s because you’ve had a bad experience with a buddy, or you are having trouble finding dive buddies. Is solo diving really the right response to that issue? Or perhaps you have a schedule that makes it difficult to find dive buddies when you’re available to dive. Whatever the reason, it’s important to assess whether or not solo diving is really the right approach.

Am I Ready?

Solo diving is very much about making an honest assessment of both your skills and your mental strengths and weaknesses.

• Can you function with your mask off or flooded?
  • Can you doff and don your BCD underwater?
  • Can you recognize the onset of stress, or the beginnings of a panic cycle, and take steps to stay in control of yourself?
  • Would you know what to do if you were bent or injured and alone?

When you’re solo diving, you won’t have another diver to help you out of any difficult or unexpected situations, so you need to plan accordingly and be able to respond to any emergency in a calm and rational manner. The mantra Stop, Breathe, Think, and Act is far more important when solo than when you’re diving with a buddy. You have to be able to anticipate the risks, be extra vigilant to avoid them, and be methodical to resolve the ones you can’t avoid.

What Skills Do I Need?

First and foremost, you need to be very comfortable with your basic diving skills … you should have good buoyancy control, be able to function with a flooded (or lost) mask, and be able to recover a lost regulator.

Dive planning becomes crucial. Predive preparations need to be made with more emphasis on risk-avoidance. During the dive, it is crucial to maintain an awareness of where you are, and stick to your dive plan. After the dive, guess what? You’re still alone. Make sure you’ve thought through how to safely end the dive and exit the water. This is particularly important if you’re diving from a boat or in surf because there isn’t anyone available to help you.

Good gas management skills are essential. Never plan on your redundant air source as part of your gas supply … it’s there strictly for emergencies. You also need to account for the fact that it may take you longer to solve a problem than it would with a buddy, and plan your gas reserves accordingly.

You should be able to comfortably remove and replace your gear underwater … because in the event of an entanglement there won’t be anyone around to help you. And finally, you should be comfortable with your ability to do a controlled emergency swimming ascent (CESA). Because if all else fails, you may have to abandon your rig and swim for the surface.

How Much Redundancy Is Enough?

The primary logic behind diving with a buddy is so that if some piece of equipment fails, you have your dive buddy there to assist you. Dive buddies provide each other with redundancy … if a piece of equipment fails you can still end the dive safely. When solo diving, you have to bring your redundancy with you. At a minimum, this means a completely independent source of air … such as double cylinders or a pony bottle. A second cutting device is also something you should take with you. EMT shears are highly recommended in addition to a standard dive knife. At least one of your cutting devices should be attached to a lanyard, so that if necessary you can attach it to your wrist to avoid accidentally dropping it. Another important consideration is a spare mask, so that you do not lose your sight if something happens to the one you’re wearing. Less fundamental, but also important will be some sort of signaling device, such as a deployable surface marker buoy and a reel or spool, as well as a Dive Alert or other audible device. Of course, you should be proficient in the proper use of all of your gear.

And remember that redundant gear doesn’t include the extra brain of a dive buddy. You need to always keep your mind focused and alert.

OK, So Am I Good To Go?

As with any aspect of diving, proper training is important. At least one agency currently offers a solo diving class for recreational divers. It may also be possible to get training through the judicious choice of a diving mentor … someone who has the experience and is willing to work with you to assure that you have the requisite skills to dive solo.

And there are some “Rules of Thumb” that can be applied to solo diving:

• Distribute your weights in such a way that both you and your rig can be independent of each other. In other words, if using an integrated BCD, consider putting some of your weights in a harness or weight belt that you wear. Remember, if you have to remove the BCD underwater you want to be able to maintain control of both yourself and your doffed rig without one sinking while the other tries to rocket to the surface.
  • Manage stress and anxiety by maintaining an awareness of your pulse and breathing rate. Be on the alert for signs of narcosis or any other condition that would lead to distorted thinking. And adopt stricter criteria for when it’s time to consider aborting the dive.
  • Dive at sites you are familiar with. Avoid sites with known entanglement hazards, currents, or other risks that may become unmanageable without help.
  • Always let someone know where you will be diving, when you expect to be done, and what to do if you are overdue. It’s always a good idea to contact that person as soon as you have safely exited the water.

And finally, recognize that there are quite a few things that no amount of gear or expertise will help you with, such as injuries or medical problems. So put some forethought into what you would do in an emergency. Use good judgment to conduct your dive in a way that minimizes risks. Keep in mind that it's much easier to avoid a problem than it is to get yourself out of one. Plan and conduct your dive with that in mind.

"it's much easier to avoid a problem than it is to get yourself out of one." Thank you!This is what I have been telling youngsters for years! When I recognise the beginning of a dangerous situation, I ask myself "Why do I need to be here?". The reason to be there is usually not as good as the reasons to leave.

Hunting is my main reason for wanting to solo. But I also want to be prepared enough to function alone even if I am diving with others. I read a thread where the guy wrote something like " I'm not diving solo, my buddy is somewhere on this same reef." To me, that's two solo divers.

I realise that I have a Loooong way to go before it is prudent for me to dive solo, and I look forward to learning many more things before I feel ready to go it alone. -N

I think people who dives with "instantbuddies" should read as much as they can on solo diving, and be equipped as solo-diver also. In reality, half of all divers are really already solo divers, with the style and the environment they dive in. All that training is worthless, if you can't reach your buddy or surface in one breath of air.

Good post Greatful. I also enjoy solo diving and am actually more at ease alone than with other divers. The buddy could be the world's best diver but the responsibility remains and freedom is somewhat diminished. I taught myself in a local lake, slowly, a little bit at a time, never making myself nervous, and thinking out the various safety implications. I carry a pony bottle attached to the plate (have never had occassion to use this), one small shears attached to shoulder strap, one small knife attached to waist belt (both shears and knife can be reached with either hand), retractable compass, and when off shore, a safety sausage and mirror. All of my diving is done at a recreational (or close to) level in warmer water. I do practice gear removal, maskless swimming, free-flow breathing etc in the lake. When off-shore I never exit the boat without a qualified boat driver remaining aboard. The good part about lake swimming, where I go, conditions change dramatically through the year - temperature, visibility from black water to 30 feet, weed growth.... It's a great way to learn navigation.

Solo should be learned slowly in a familiar place and with forethought. I don't think this is a good idea for divers who are nervous about the concept, and it may be less appropriate for deep, cold-water, technical dives, but for less complicated diving the feeling of freedom and relaxation can not be surpassed. The often unnoticed plus of solo is that you will be a much better buddy when diving with someone. The best buddies are two self-sufficient divers who happen to be together.

I'd like to see the entire article myself, Bob. I look forward to your thoughts and the gas management course you sent me gets alot of use. On the subject of diving solo I have found that what also needs to be carefully considered is your overall fitness to do it. Not just physical but mental as well. If you are prone to anxiety or find yourself getting more than a little nervous if the vis goes to crap then you may not want to try it.

I know of at least one experienced diver who is always talking about going out alone and I'd not be comfortable with him as a buddy because of the way he maintains or perhaps does not maintain his gear.

One agency that is against solo diving now recognizes (but you gotta look for their position on it and only if you are a pro to access it on their website) that it has it's place but considers it "a form of technical diving". I have tried to capture the article and post it here but perhaps I'm not computer savvy enough to do it. And I'm too lazy to copy it word for word but may resort to that. But I must agree with their take on it. Diving solo requires a lot more attention to details, immaculate maintenace of your equipment, and enough experience in the environment you will be diving in to get yourself out of ANY situation without assistance. I've been diving solo for a couple years now and there are a couple places I'm comfortable being the only one there. My first dives in Monterey was one of those times where I was glad to have a buddy. I'd never been in kelp, or the pacific, or in surge that was a strong as it was in a few spots. Though I had no difficulties and thoroughly enjoyed it I'd want a few more dives there with someone before I'd do it alone.

I also make it a point to let someone know where I'll be and for how long so that if anything should happen somebody will know where to start looking for me. And not just something serious, if my cell dies and I have flat it'd be nice to know I'm not stuck there all night. And it gives peace of mind to my wife just knowing where I am.

I enjoy team diving but I also enjoy a dive alone sometimes. I don't get too philosophical about the reasons...I just want to. At times I fish, hunt, work and do lots of other things alone too.

I think most of the points Bob covered apply equally well to team diving. IMO, the primary advantage of a buddy is they provide another brain, an extra set of hands and another set of eyes. There is no equipment that can provide those things. The relevant question reduces to, are those things required or even desired for the dive at hand?

I solo dive on occasion also and would advise anyone considering it to ponder why they want to give it a try. One aspect that I was ignorant of is the increased anxiety that must be overcome. I also quickly became aware that I very much missed the social aspect of buddy diving. Its not as much fun when you find something cool if there's no one to signal to come have a look. I would also advise planning short and shallow dives at very familiar sites at first just to see if you enjoy it. I now know that I would much rather dive with a friend but still sometimes go solo.

I also make it a point to let someone know where I'll be and for how long so that if anything should happen somebody will know where to start looking for me. And not just something serious, if my cell dies and I have flat it'd be nice to know I'm not stuck there all night. And it gives peace of mind to my wife just knowing where I am.

LOL, does anyone here remember life before cell phones?

Why dive solo? It's a decent question, as is 'why would anyone want to dive in caves', 'why would anyone penetrate wrecks', 'what's the appeal of diving deep', 'why plan decompression dives', or 'why dive in remote parts of the world (far from help)'?

Each decision causes a diver to take on additional risks. We do what we can to minimize the risks with planning, training, and equipment, but deciding to do any kind of advanced diving is less safe than deciding not to.

I enjoy solo diving. For me, there's nothing else can compete for complete freedom and relaxation.

Unfortunately, there are too many divers who don't see the difference between being prepared to dive solo and swimming around by yourself while hoping that nothing bad happens. Your article does a lot to demonstrate the differences.

Great article (and topic).

Rich

Very good piece. The vast majority of my diving is Solo. As many have said experience it the key with redundancy a close second. I have not checked into it but I think one Agency is offering a Solo diver Cert. Like others this is one that should require a minimum of dives. Wonder what people would like to see? For me it would be a minimum of at least 200 and the instructor would need to see very good judgment.

Back
Top Bottom