Female peeing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DOkie

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've searched this site and cannot find what I'm looking for. The other day, I had another female diver ask me how I "pee'd when I was on the boat". To me it was a simple answer of "squat over the side".... We dive dry suits here all year around and I've seen a lot posted on this site about diapers, pee valves, etc... But is it really that big of a deal? I dive pretty much exclusively with guys. I've seen them in their underwear (and worse) and it never seems to phase them to "go to the back of the boat" and I've never had one complaint when I do the same. (Of course I'm polite and give them a heads up".

So my question is... Girls, is it that big of a problem with holding it while diving dry and/or just going off the side/back of the boat? What's with all of the diaper talk? Guys, are you that offended when a gal's gotta go?

I've watched women be absolutely miserable waiting to get back to the boat launch, and I just can't see doing that!

Sorry if I've offended anyone!!!

There are no marine heads, or those portable plastic toilets with the little handle you pull out after use, on your local dive boats, DOkie?

I've hung my rear over the rail, and found a hole in the prow; it's never fun, it's always awkward, and if there are boats about, it doesn't work.

I'm picking up my She-P shortly. I am quite certain it will make diving more pleasant. Especially off my own boat, where using the portapotty requires getting out of drysuit and most of undergarment.

I can't imagine why any guy would be offended if a woman has to go pee, be it hanging over a boat or whatever. If ya gotta go you gotta go. I myself have never tried squatting over the side of a boat since I don't need to but I imagine that would be awkward and possibly embarrassing should something go horribly wrong. As far as pee valves in a dry suit, I personally would never get one. Just one more valve to worry about. Plus when I did my ow cert. one of the women instructors hose leading to the pee valve was too long and got tangled so she couldn't empty it. In between dives she cut the hose and reattached it, that didn't work the way she planned and ended up getting a dry suit full of pee. :)

I think I'd be more worried that the women on the dive boat would be offended by the guys that need to take a leak. Then again, I've known more than a few guys who seemed to think needing to pee was a good excuse to "flash" the world (i.e. not even a token attempt at being discrete about it).

Bodily functions are a reality of life, and anyone who gets offended by them needs to get out of that pristine fantasy world they're living in and remember that there is nothing dirty or disgusting about the proper function of the kidneys. If someone is making an attempt to salvage some modesty (such as warning everyone they're about to expose themselves in order to excrete), then I can't see any reason to get offended. If they're not making any attempt at discretion, then the offense is at the insensitivity of the individual, not at the actual act of urinating. In that case, it doesn't matter to me whether it's a male or female doing so.

I don't see what the big issue is. That being said, most of the bigger dive boats all have at least one or two heads. The smaller dive boats.....well, then it's time to flavor the ocean water a little bit. *shrugs*

I find it interesting that the majority of people saying they don't see why it's an issue are men. Men don't have to get almost completely out of their dry suit AND their undergarments to pee, and they can pee standing up and facing out over the rail, rather than having to hang their rear ends over (which is a precarious position indeed, if the water isn't perfectly smooth!)

Portapotties are better than nothing, especially if there is some kind of cabin you can put them in, but you're still facing the issue of undressing, and dragging the sleeves of everything across the floor. I'm looking forward to trialing the She-P. It will make it much more attractive to hydrate adequately during a day out on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom