Help Get BC Myths Tested On MythBusters!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I propose we test out the power of ScubaBoard. Remember when Stephen Colbert used his fans to win the NASA name contest? If we move our usual BC flame out to the MythBusters Submit a Myth forum maybe we could convince them to take on the challenge of really finding out which BC style is; most streamlined, easier to release air from, and possibly other favorite contentious BC claims.

I have stuck my Inflator out, sacrificing myself to possible public ridicule on cable TV, and I'm inviting you to join join in the mockery. I started just such a thread on their web site.

Best SCUBA BC - Topic Powered by Social Strata

Please come and let them know what a windbag you think I am, or maybe how I am so obviously right in my assumptions that a study is pointless. You have to become a "member" just like here on SB, but you do not have to use your SB persona like I did.

I do admit to making the post somewhat sensational, both because we may need a flame war and we may need to hype the entertainment factor for their non-diving viewers. Basically, I'm saying just be yourself, even though it may end up preserved in reruns forever. :coffee:

Or, lets submit the whole list from a previous thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...8-scuba-diving-urban-legends-mythbusters.html

In the event of a first stage failure you can take the reg off a tank and sip air directly from the valve.

A ruptured low pressure hose will drain a tank before you can shut the valve off.

You can use a wing as rebreather in an emergency.

Spare Air is adequate for a safe ascent from 130'

"diving with a metal detector will attract sharks"

if you pee in your wetsuit - it does attract sharks.

Plastic buckles are a more prone to failure.

using a webbed glove will allow one to swim faster in a serious rescue situation.

Titanium regs will blow up if used with nitrox

you fill a tank with Nitrox, it must be O2 clean first or the whole shop will blow up.

Will water get into a tank if it is brought back on board with only 100 psi.

How dirty can a tank be before it will explode when filling with pure O2.

Does the air pressure on the INSIDE of a scuba tank increase as the diver ascends?

Nitrox make you feel less tired.

The pee will rinse out of your wetsuit.

Menstrual blood is "dead" blood and therefore does not attract sharks.

Sharks are attracted to divers riding scooters because of the electo-mechanical signal given off.

Bungied wings cause turbulence in the water, creating drag.

You can't orally inflate a bungied wing at depth.

7' hose will cause a decrease in regulator performance.

A 7' hose will give you a couple of extra breaths if you go OOA due to the extra volume.

pissing in a wetsuit ruins it (especially if its a rental)

you can't seal a mask with a beard or mustache

The early hard hat divers did not have a check valve on their air supply lines and if the air ran out the water pressure would force their bodies up into the helmet!

Don't forget that drinking Ice Tea at certain dive resorts will cause Decompression Symptons

I'm still trying to perfect the following scuba prank. Get a bunch of cylinders and put them at the bottom of a pool while the victim is on the surface talking to their students. Have some friends help open the tank valves at the same time. I'm trying to get enough air coming out so the person sinks to the bottom but all that is happening with 3 tanks so far is that the person on the surface gets pushed to the side. We're going to try 6 tanks next time.

Masks are designed so that, the exact instant you place them on your forehead, an ambulance and rescue helicopter will be deployed to assist you because everyone knows a diver only puts their mask on their forehead when they are in serious distress.

The early hard hat divers did not have a check valve on their air supply lines and if the air ran out the water pressure would force their bodies up into the helmet!

They already did this one :)

"The early hard hat divers did not have a check valve on their air supply lines and if the air ran out the water pressure would force their bodies up into the helmet!"

They already did that one. They used a pig :)

Edit:
Oh would you look at that, you beat me to it Tortuga68.

They already did this one :)

"The early hard hat divers did not have a check valve on their air supply lines and if the air ran out the water pressure would force their bodies up into the helmet!"

They already did that one. They used a pig :)

Edit:
Oh would you look at that, you beat me to it Tortuga68.

Yea they did it, and it was pretty gruesome looking too :)

I was not thinking that the producers of MythBusters would do an entire hour just on Scuba Myths. By limiting the scope of my Scuba Myth suggestion they could perhaps work it into a Recreation Equipment Myth show and have multiple disciplines to cull viewers from.

I am volunteering to crush him in any BC streamlining race. :eyebrow:

Who almost did ca ca getting out of the submerged car?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom